Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Running Hot

ATL 84

Corvette
1984 White Coupe
I seem to be having vett nightmares these days. I thought I was finished tinkering for a while, but now I have a new problem, she is running hot. I know it is in the fan. I changed the relay and the fan switch, no help. I read there is a fan motor fuse, but I can't seem to find it. I was wondering if someone can lead me in the right direction.

What is the water temperature when the fan turns on?

The problem is it is not coming on, but before it came on at 205

Fusable link! I did away with mine and put inline fuses.

Some basic '84 cooling fan troubleshooting...

Disconnect the (tan) wire to the fan switch in the pass. side cylinder head and ground it with the ignition switch on...the fan should turn on. If it does, then your switch is bad (which has obviously been replaced if the fan turns on at 205 F). If it doesn't....

Check for 12V at fan relay blue wire, (fan relay is mounted inside the driver's side fenderwell, kinda in front of the brake master cylinder) it should have 12V with ignition on, nothing with ignition off. If there is no voltage at the blue wire with ignition on, then check the "FAN" fuse. NOTE: this fuse ONLY protects the coil of the relay, NOT the fan motor itself! If the blue wire checks out ok....

Check for 12V at the solid red wire at the relay (NOT the red/black), this should be "hot" all the time. If it's not then it's probably the fusible link that SoLow mentioned (located just off the positive terminal of the battery). IF THIS LINK IS BLOWN....determine the cause before just replacing it...else you'll likely be doing it again very soon.

Aside from the fan motor just being plain burned out...one of those tests should catch the problem.

Report back what you find.

Bill

Thanks, you guys always come through when I need you. Got it working right today. Need to be right for New Years

Sorry I did not say what the culprit was. It was a loose wire going from the relay to the temp sensor. The diagram help track the problem.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom