Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rust-o-movich!

Corvette
1981 HD Suspension; ZN1 Option
Ok gang...due to too many circumstances to type in here, I cannot get my front "Y" pipe sand blasted in the Albuquerque metro area until about two or three weeks.

So, I thought that maybe a chemical solution could help me remove the rust before I paint it with 1200 deg F aluminum color. I bought that Permatex Rust remover that is a pink-colored gel, and it sucked.

Can anyone recommend a relatively easy-to-buy product to remove rust off the pipe?

GerryLP:cool

Aren't there ANY repair shops in your area that have a glass bead blaster? Most all auto repair shops have one. They might even let you use it yourself.

SAVE THE :w

Tom,

Most of the business around here specialize on industrial applications. There is even a guy who has a totally mobile operation, but he has large contract with the military blasting armored vehicles, and the rest don't even want to bother with my small job. Everyone keeps referring me to a head stone maker who's out ill this week, and has about 25 jobs waiting on him to return. So, it would be about 2 -3 weeks for my pipe to be blasted.

Hey Gerry,how about coke????

Do you mean soda?

I know that works for the battery deposits, but have never tried it on just metal.

I wonder if CLR will work pretty good on it.

you might want to check the eastwood web site for some ideas. they there's always the old stand-by naval jelly. when it's all said and done, it just might be easier and less coastly to replace the pipe with new and coat it off the car before it goes on.

Gerry,

Oxysolve from Eastwood will do the job. I have used it for years on everything from steel body panels to small parts. For your Y pipe you will have to brush it on and keep it wet after first cleaning off the scale and oil ext. I'd do a couple feet at a time to make it easy. Rinse thoroughly with water and it leaves an oxide coating that protects against surface rust until you are ready to paint.

It is strong stuff so if you pour it in a can and drop in some small parts don't forget about them. (don't ask me how I know) I don't know anything about the Eastwood rust desolver. I have never tried it but it isn't supposed to attack metal.

Tom

I ran into that problem and ended up buying a blaster from Harbor frieght it was cheaper then one of the quotes; the big guys do not want to start up their equipment for a small job too costly.

What about starting with a handheld electric grinder with a wirebrush/wheel on it? Then use some heavy duty steel wool or sandpaper for a wipe down, then a really fine steel wool for the finished layer. Take some acetone, wipe it down. Shoot it with the hi-temp and you're all set! :)

Do you mean soda?

I know that works for the battery deposits, but have never tried it on just metal.

I wonder if CLR will work pretty good on it.

yup soda,its a corrosive anyway....

I ran into that problem and ended up buying a blaster from Harbor frieght it was cheaper then one of the quotes; the big guys do not want to start up their equipment for a small job too costly.

That's it, Craig. There are plenty of shops that don't want to bother. I have one quote from a coatings-specialized business of $150.00 dollars. For that, I can purchase a new one. This "Y" pipe is from an original L81, and it has the driver's side heat shield in excellent condition, so I want to make it work.

I found a blasting gravity-fed gun on line (http://eagleequip.com/page/EE/PROD/SANDBLAST/6346 ) , and it sounds pretty good, but obviously it is not the only one available. One would have to make blast shots while the gun is up-right, so it would work for this job (maybe) but not all jobs.

Opinions on these guns? ;shrug I just currently do not have the room to store additional sand blasting equipment.

What about starting with a handheld electric grinder with a wirebrush/wheel on it? Then use some heavy duty steel wool or sandpaper for a wipe down, then a really fine steel wool for the finished layer. Take some acetone, wipe it down. Shoot it with the hi-temp and you're all set! :)

That is funny! ;LOL Evo! Is it that obvious? I know what you mean. It sounds like I don't want to get some elbow grease on this job, and my laziness shows.:L

But truly I tried, and the old carbon steel is pretty stained. I can get it clean, but the rust seems to remain (I have not tried a pubic-hair abrasive wheel, though). And I admit it, this job I rather have it blasted or chemically stripped. I'll save my would be $1M-Dollar-Major-League-Baseball elbow for smaller jobs.;LOL

That is funny! ;LOL Evo! Is it that obvious? I know what you mean. It sounds like I don't want to get some elbow grease on this job, and my laziness shows.:L

But truly I tried, and the old carbon steel is pretty stained. I can get it clean, but the rust seems to remain (I have not tried a pubic-hair abrasive wheel, though). And I admit it, this job I rather have it blasted or chemically stripped. I'll save my would be $1M-Dollar-Major-League-Baseball elbow for smaller jobs.
How much worse than mine is yours???

247989488_e1fbc007a4_o.jpg

How much worse than mine is yours???

Perhaps not much worse. But after brushing with a rotary wire brush and drill, I could not get shiny metal. It sort of looked smoother, but not shiny. :)

Perhaps not much worse. But after brushing with a rotary wire brush and drill, I could not get shiny metal. It sort of looked smoother, but not shiny.
BTW...I haven't done anything to mine. That's the way it looked when I took it off the car YEARS ago. I still haven't done anything to it. Someday I'll sell it. I gotta get "a roundtuit" first! :)

I'll save my would be $1M-Dollar-Major-League-Baseball elbow for smaller jobs.;LOL

What an opening lead-in for a comment! (the many possible responses are just to funny to think about) ;) :rotfl

This is the perfect time to convince your wife that you need to buy that sand blasting unit! Cmon man - take these opportunities when they present themselves! :)

This is the perfect time to convince your wife that you need to buy that sand blasting unit! Cmon man - take these opportunities when they present themselves! :)

Twoseater,

I bet you that if lack of space was not the problem, then I would have found plenty of businesses to blast-clean the front "Y" pipe.:L

I can barely move about in my garage now as it is. Ten percent of the time I work in my garage is spent moving things in or out of some place.

We have asked for quotes on the building of our garage. I think I have reached a style that we both like, and we're in the contractor quote stage now.

Check it out;This is the view of the concept from our house patio.
View attachment 11248

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom