Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Rust on the windshield header and inside mounts

Evolution1980

Administrator
Corvette
ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes
I'm posting this question for naptownfireman who directly asked me. I think it's better served here for the community to answer. So please direct your replies to him, not me. :thumb
naptownfireman said:
Hey, I just found out that I have some rust on my car. The header on my windshield and on the mounts inside front panel. Do you think I am in trouble. It runs great and I didnt even know about the rust until I went snooping around taking panels off after reading these forums. Pain $6,500 for it so I dont think It is catastrophic for me. How long can I let it go without doing something about it.

It depends on how bad it's rusted. If the metal is "rusted through" in places which you can see, figure on more rust on other parts of the so-called "birdcage".

There is no way to stop rust short of stripping the car down such that you can remove the birdcage and remove the rust or replace it.

If the rust is surface rust mostly, you can prep the surface then paint over the rust in the areas you can access with a product which Eastwood sells called "Rust Encapsulator". You paint that over the rust and it stops. Once it dries you can leave it as is or put a top coat on it of any color you want.

Over the years I've had excellent results with Rust Encapsulator as long as the rusted area is not rusted so bad it's structurally unsound.

If you find that the birdcage / windshield frame does need to be replaced, check out CSC Reproductions. They are the ones that make all the steel replacement parts that are resold by the major Corvette parts supplier places (Ecklers, MidAmerica, Corvette Central, etc). May as well order direct from the manufacturer!

Based on what you have written it is impossible to tell what you have and how long you can leave it without touching it. You can ignore it and keep on doing what you are currently doing with the car.

If the rust is minor and just surface you probably have 10-12 years before it becomes and issue.

If the rust is very severe your windshield might crack on the next bump you hit, or your car might break in half in the middle of a hard turn.

Probably the best course of action is to remove as much of the interior trim as you deem necessary to determine what the extent of the rust damage is. Once you know that you can make an informed decision as to what to do. We can help so make sure you take many pictures to show us.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom