Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rust Question

72and86

Corvette
1965 Vert, 1969 Coupe, 1971 Coupe, 1976, 1986 Vert
I bought a Vette for $900 last fall...

The interior was pretty wet from leakage (which I still can't locate). The seats are wrecked.

How can I remove pretty bad surface rust from both seat tracks? Should I? Can I, or is it a lost cause?

Thanks.
Steve

Wire brush, either power or hand or both. Sandpaper. I've heard that Naval Jelly does some good. Even if you can't get it all off, you can repaint w/ POR paint.

What year, etc?

I bought a Vette for $900 last fall...

The interior was pretty wet from leakage (which I still can't locate). The seats are wrecked.

How can I remove pretty bad surface rust from both seat tracks? Should I? Can I, or is it a lost cause?

Thanks.
Steve

I'd start with a wire-brush, either hand or a wire wheel on a drill and then sandpaper. If that leave you with a useable track, then apply a good rust killer; Osho works very well.

If any of the above doesn't leave you with a workable track look for a used set at a bone yard or Ebay. Some pictures of your tracks would help.

Gary
SAVE the WAVE

...The interior was pretty wet from leakage (which I still can't locate)...

I'm betting the leak is in the wiper bay. Seal the entire area with 3M automotive undercoating from the rattle can. The 3M looks a lot like the factory original but will dry a very dark brown. Krylon semi-flat black over the dried 3M will get you back to the correct black.

:)

I'm betting the leak is in the wiper bay. Seal the entire area with 3M automotive undercoating from the rattle can. The 3M looks a lot like the factory original but will dry a very dark brown. Krylon semi-flat black over the dried 3M will get you back to the correct black.

The '79 leaks on both passenger and driver side. There's a leak somewhere 6" from the windshield washer well to the fender on BOTH sides. (The garden hose test proves this.)
Its so far up I cant see where its coming from. The "flashlight at night" test didnt work...
Thanks...Steve

...The '79 leaks on both passenger and driver side. There's a leak somewhere 6" from the windshield washer well to the fender on BOTH sides....

Yep. It happens. I had the same problem on my '68.

Before.jpg

Factory sealant shown. It gets old, dries out and cracks, and allows water to seep in. Use the 3M to seal the entire area at the base of the windshield, down past the wipers, and the entire wiper bay.

Check where the cowl is rivited and sealed to the firewall. Sometimes they separate and water just rolls in.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom