Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

sawblades

U

urleycay

has anyone polished their wheels. From what i,ve read so far someone said you have to remove clear coat first. can you use a spray on stripper to do that then polish wheel w/ aluminum polish and buffing wheels. last should you re-clear wheels when done? if so, what type of clear.
thanks

From what I have read, you are correct. Strip the clear-coat off first. Then to polish, I have read were they talk about starting with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper and work down to 1200-1500 grit. Some people say to re-clear some say they just keep them cleaned up.

Sounds like a bit of work, but well worth it. Good luck and post some pictures, before, during and after you get them done.

has anyone polished their wheels. From what i,ve read so far someone said you have to remove clear coat first. can you use a spray on stripper to do that then polish wheel w/ aluminum polish and buffing wheels. last should you re-clear wheels when done? if so, what type of clear.
thanks

I used a brush on stripper on my '87. Don't bother with any 'safety strippers'. you need full power stuff to get the clear off.

It requires a TON of work. The wheels are not smooth under the clear, they are machined in a circular pattern and the grooves are thicker than they look with the clear on. You'll have to take the wheels off the car, and I don't think you can do it without a good power polisher of some sort.

Also, make sure you don't get any of the stripper on the tires.

Sounds like it is definitely a job for a professional.

BTW, Is there such a thing as "clear powder-coat"?

It's very time consuming but a good DIY project if you store the car for the winter. Take off one wheel at a time and devote a Saturday to each one.

I used "aircraft remover" with good , easy results. If you're careful, you can swab it on and not hit the painted recesses as well.

It is a lot of work, but well worth it. I went to 2000 grit then used mothers aluminum polish and they look great. If I remember, each wheel took about 4 hours straight. I did not reclear them, and surprisingly, its been easy to keep them looking sharp, even after 2 years. I thought oxidation would eventually dull them, but so far, so good.

I just got done doing this. My 95 blades had some corrosion and curb dings. I removed all of the tires from the wheels. I used a 3M citris stripper that worked great and did not have a noxious odor. True there is a machine surface under the clear cote, but the first compound smoothed that out. I used two different grades of compound bricks ( red & white)and two grades of polishing wheels ( firm & fluffy) that I bought from a vendor at the Chicago Chevy/Vettefest and a cheap Black & Decker drill. I had to spend about a hour with the first compound and about 45 minutes with the final compound. After that I hand polished with Mothers. They came out great. I am not going to clear them, just touch them up with Mothers as needed. Bout two hours per wheel, well worth the time!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom