Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sea Foam Review

TODD L GRIFFITH

Corvette
99' MR Coupe, 04' Silverado 03' ZO6 Sold
There is a fuel system cleaner/decarbonizer called Sea Foam. I used it today to clean my intake, valves and combustion chambers. The stuff works awesome. It can be found at your local Autozone. Here are the directions for use. Start the car and wait for it to get up to operating temperature. With the car running at operating temp., remove the tube from the other side of the PCV valve and insert the Sea Foam in the tube, letting vacuum suck the Sea Foam into the cylinders. After 1/3 of a pint has been used, shut the car off and wait 5-10 minutes. I dumped the remaining can of the Sea Foam into my gas tank for fuel injector cleaning. Ensure you have at least 12 gallons of fuel to mix with. After 10 minutes you can restart the car and you will get some smoke and fumes out the back for a short period of time. Make sure the car is in a well ventilated area. I took the car for a good romp after and noticed an excellent idle quality and a very smooth running engine. Now in conjunction with my oil catch can I am extremely clean burning. Sea Foam is safe to use with 02 sensors and catylitic converters.
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

Sure :) I really am impressed with how good that stuff works. I heard about it from a buddy of mine.

Yeah a couple of buddies of mine rave about that stuff. I have't used it personally.

I used it in my 93 when it was running rough one day. A friend told me about it after I told him the problem I was having. That stuff cleared up my problem. It always ran great after that. It never ran rough again.

I have been reading about Seafoam for years but I've never actually used it. And I can honestly say that all the things I've read about it, not one comment was a negative comment. I might have to give it a try one day.

does it set any codes?? i cleaned my throttle body and i now have service engine soon message on my dic.no other codes and the car runs better much better and no rough idle at all.....thanks ......

does it set any codes?? i cleaned my throttle body and i now have service engine soon message on my dic.no other codes and the car runs better much better and no rough idle at all.....thanks ......
No codes came up on the DIC. Tell me more about the service engine soon light and have you tried to reset it? Is it giving you any codes?

I used it in my 93 when it was running rough one day. A friend told me about it after I told him the problem I was having. That stuff cleared up my problem. It always ran great after that. It never ran rough again.
I never realized how poorly mine ran until using this stuff. It is unreal, like a night and day type of difference. The engine is so smooth now, you can hear each individual cylinder firing, like music to the ears. I'm just surprised at the major difference it made, not just alittle better, but alot better. :D

I have been reading about Seafoam for years but I've never actually used it. And I can honestly say that all the things I've read about it, not one comment was a negative comment. I might have to give it a try one day.
Like I said, you never know how bad it is running until using the Sea Foam and seeing and hearing the difference.

Yeah a couple of buddies of mine rave about that stuff. I have't used it personally.
You should try it. Sea Foam reminds me of a typical fuel injector cleaner, but concentrated. As I said, no codes were thrown either. Funny, but I couldn't wait to drive the car after seeing how well it ran. The same feeling I get after installing a major mod. :L

No codes came up on the DIC. Tell me more about the service engine soon light and have you tried to reset it? Is it giving you any codes?
no codes just service engine soon it goes across the display but no codes and it is running just fine?????thanks for your question......

Todd,

What's the cost on this stuff?

no codes just service engine soon it goes across the display but no codes and it is running just fine?????thanks for your question......
I would check the 2 chassis ground plugs behind the headlights for corrosion. It's that green corrosion on the pins. Let me see if I can get you a link.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=896875&highlight=G102
Scroll down and see the pics. of the plugs with corrosion. I was getting the same thing "service engine soon" and my ground plugs were corroded as shown. Cleaned them, never got the code again.

it's really strange but the message did not appear until i cleaned my throttle body i have checked the grounds before ..a couple of months ago....they were clean ....it's a mystery to me thanks for your advice.......

Fuel Being Used?

Hey Todd,
Thanks for the info. Just curious, do you contribute any of the prior issues "motor performance" to a type of fuel being used??? I still need to get a catch can set-up but my lazy azz hasn't taken car of it yet.

Hey Todd,
Thanks for the info. Just curious, do you contribute any of the prior issues "motor performance" to a type of fuel being used??? I still need to get a catch can set-up but my lazy azz hasn't taken car of it yet.
With 10% ethynol being used, it is recommended that the fuel filter be replaced to run the new mix as well. I think the PCV system design still has problems, although GM has redesigned it on the C5 Corvette a few times. The catch can traps the oil going into the intake, but it doesn't get all of it. Small amounts of oil still enter the intake. The problem as I see it, as a designer of oil/water seperators myself is, the catch can needs a drop tube on the inlet side to terminate 1/2" from the bottom of the can to avoid a short circuiting between the inlet and discharge tubes up on top. This will solve the problem to near 100% isolation of the oil from the intake. When I installed my oil catch can, I removed my intake manifold and cleaned it as well. My new heads had a sludge build up on the intake ports, on the valves, and I can only imagine what the combustion chambers looked like. I cleaned everything as best as I could, but you just can't access all of it. I figured the Sea Foam could clean where I couldn't reach. Sea Foam is a concentrated cleaner, a decarbonizer. It kind of reminds me of a varnish remover, very strong. I'm sure it is doing the job especially on the combustion chambers, and hopefully on top of the pistons.

Great info as always Todd.
All the best, slong
Thanks slong, you are way too kind. I hope that I have nailed down all the problems I was having with oil entering the intake through the PCV valve. My tubes to the catch can are transparent. You can see the oil being pulled up from the valley tube at idle +/- 14" of vacuum, into the can. In addition, there is a certain amount of moisture in the oil that is drawn up too. The reason is that the coolant and oil temperature haven't reached a temperature of 140 degrees. Below this temperature, the engine is condensing on the inside like a boiler does. At start up you see the evidence of this at the tail pipe ofcourse, plus I've seen the moisture in the inlet tube to the catch can at idle also. Not a good situation. The oil needs to get hot for a long time to boil off the moisture. More evident moisture problems can be found in the C5's of owners with short daily commutes. The can traps the oil and water. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom