Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Seat pump 101A ( 88 sport seats)

vigman

Motor head!!!!
Corvette
88 Convert ( SOLD ) /1973 coupe 4 speed/1964 Vert!
NEED HELP!Seat pump 101A ( 88 sport seats)

So here's the question.

What other GM vehicles use the same pump assy as the Corvette?
Caddy? El Camino? Camaro? VAN?

My switches are all good and the hose couplings are MOSTLY ok.

But if I found another GM car.. I could raid parts.. ( like those 3 way couplers )

1 of my pumps is stuck but it is getting power.

The other has been ripped apart
(we wont go there now) I believe the "Connecting" rod assy is missing ( to the diaphram).

I have heard tricks where you take a rubber glove and make a new diaphram and such.. but I think I need more raw bits before I attempt this.

So put the info on the line...

Vig!

I replaced both of my pumps this spring. One of them quit a couple years ago and the other one last fall. In my case it was the motors that were bad, so I installed new ones. The new assembleys come with hoses and one of the 3-way couplers installed. I still had one coupler that had one of the connectors broken off. I reattached it with JB Weld and that seems to be holding OK. I found that using a heat gun on the hoses helps with removing them from the couplers and replacing them. There are specific places for the connectors and couplers hollowed out in the foam seat bottom. If the air couplers don't get back in the correct places, they are more prone to getting broken.

Good luck.

If you go to the knowledgebase tab, then to 84-96 section and then to interior there is an article about repairing the motors using the rubber glove method. I did this and it worked great. However if you are missing pieces you'll probably have to get the entire kit. Hope this helps.

Which part of the seat has the support--the bottom or top or both? Neither my passenger or driver pumps work--I don't hear any sounds and was wondering if it's worth it to fix them. I suppose I should check the fuses to make sure it's not a burnt out fuse. Does the lumbar support help the feel of the seat?

The pumps are located on the bottom seat support. There's a clip on the front of the seat that I believe you pull forward and down and this releases the seat bottom. The pump sits in an indentation of the support. It took me longer to get the pump out than it did to replace the diaphram. It's not made for fat fingers! It took me about 2 hours to do the first one (mostly getting the pump out. I did the next one with the pump installed on the seat in about 20 minutes. There are a couple of small items that you need to be extremely careful about replacing when you do it this way. The tech article was very easy to follow and covered all the steps.

Also about not hearing any noise, mine was also silent until I replaced the diaphrams. From what I understand about 90% of these are bad.

Final result is that now the pumps work but I think the bladders are bad because they still don't inflate. I finally decided it wasn't worth the effort and money to redo everything. I'd rather just be driving!!

Good luck. Hopefully you are more persistent than me.

So are there bladders in both bottom and top of seat? I just want to know where I'm going to feel any difference if I decide to try and fix.

There are three bladders in the lower area of the seat back. All three inflate when the pump is turned on. The three buttons under the pump switch are then used to bleed air out of each of the three bladders individually to get the proper amount of support in the desired areas.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom