Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Seduced! - Just like GM marketing said would happen

KenSchuster

Seduced by Stingray! - Just as GM marketing predicted

I'm so old that this is being written with a chunk of coal on a Commodore 64 computer monitor ... well, okay not quite, but if you know what a Commodore 64 is, you know what I'm talking about. So here I am at the age where it's "do it now or file it in the 'shoulda' basket". I try to keep that basket as vacant as possible. First thing I did was to set my sights on the 2014 Porsche Boxster, great car. Then the Cayman came out... a little extra storage space, and the somewhat more security and build integrity of a coupe. It's beautiful inside, outside and mechanically. It would cost me almost my life's savings, but one of the very few advantages of old age is a better idea of how much further your savings have go. I built the Cayman online, down to the steering wheel cover, and got "this close" to slapping down my deposit at the dealership.

Becoming a teenager in the mid-1950s, I was captivated by the new all-fiberglass Corvette. The TV show Route 66 was the only show that I had to be home to watch... couldn't care less about the actors or plot. It was all about the 'vette for me. However, I was raised on the wrong side of the wrong side of the tracks in inner-city Philadelphia, so ANY car for me was just a daydream. While I was stationed in Eritrea (part of Ethiopia at that time), my friend Phil Piazza taught me to drive a stick on his Austin-Healey Sprite. A month later, we set the unofficial record for the Masawa (Red Sea port) to Asmara (capitol of Eritrea at 8000 feet) run. Phil was navigating. I was hooked on sports cars from then on. I have owned an Austin-Healey 3000 MkIII ('63), Jaguar XK-E ('64), Datsun 280Z ('78) and currently drive my fantastic little Miata MX-5 ('07). But, my eye always locks-on to every 'vette that I see on the road... usually in front of me.

Throughout my life, I have been keenly aware of all the "coincidences" that I have experienced... things that just seemed so improbable to occur, but did. A case in point is that my mother married Chip Miller's dad, so Chip became my stepbrother. If you're "vette-centric" you probably know who Chip was. He and I talked on the phone a few of times, but we never met. I was in California and he was in Pennsylvania. So here I am, approaching dodderhood, minutes from buying a Cayman, and Chip's name came up in different conversations that I was having and reading by others online. Couldn't get him out of my mind and wham... I see the new Stingray announcement! My Cayman deposit is safe, at least for the time being.

I'm so old that this is being written with a chunk of coal on a Commodore 64 computer monitor ... well, okay not quite, but if you know what a Commodore 64 is, you know what I'm talking about.
;LOL

As a matter of fact, I remember Commodore VIC 24....the very first Texas Instruments Computer, and Atari! :thumb

Awesome story and welcome to the Corvette Action Center! :w

:welcome

Good story. You've owned some interesting and fun rides.

Unlike you, I never owned a sports car before getting my first Vette and I was 41 at the time. After driving one for a while, I had to kick myself for not getting one sooner.

Btw, I passed on the Commodore and bought a TRS-80 Model 4. ;)

I never owned a sports car before getting my first Vette and I was 41 at the time. After driving one for a while, I had to kick myself for not getting one sooner.

Well you did it with plenty of time to spare. Keep it and yourself safe around those funnel clouds!

I remember Commodore VIC 24....the very first Texas Instruments Computer, and Atari!

Oh, right, ! I do remember "The Vic", and of course the amazingly ahead of its time Atari. Remember the TI "portable" calculators about the size of an iPad Mini and five times thicker, with the red neon display? That was around the time that Popular Science was publishing predictions that some day jet fighter pilots might have a heads-up instrument display inside their helmet face shield. Now it's a reality on Corvette windshields.:Steer

Wow....I remember before my VIC-20 I had a Timex Sinclair ZX-80; which was about the size of 2-100 cigarette packs. It was hooked to our first color TV and you pecked at those "chicklet" keys with the eraser end of a pencil....

The VIC made it look so easy back then, and I had to upgrade :L

Welcome to CAC!!!
enjoy

Great first post....I also was hooked at 10 years of age by the Route 66 shows of which I can remember only the car. We had a Wang computer in our business that my Dad was real proud of.....it had these huge discs and had to be in a temp controlled room and had the computing power that my cell phone now puts to shame....I hope you get that C7....it would do you good.

Welcome to the CAC......

Well you did it with plenty of time to spare. Keep it and yourself safe around those funnel clouds!

Hey Ken, dodged another one last night. Yea Ha! There's a lot I like about Oklahoma but T-Storms and Tornados aren't on the list. The twisters were only a mile or so north of my house. Got 60-80 MPH winds though. Lost power for about 18 hours.

The weather has been so crappy here the last few weeks that I only get to drive the Vette once a week and even then I'm concerned. Weather guessers are says it might be bad again next week. We'll see.

Hey Ken, dodged another one last night. Yea Ha! There's a lot I like about Oklahoma but T-Storms and Tornados aren't on the list. The twisters were only a mile or so north of my house. Got 60-80 MPH winds though. Lost power for about 18 hours.

The weather has been so crappy here the last few weeks that I only get to drive the Vette once a week and even then I'm concerned. Weather guessers are says it might be bad again next week. We'll see.

Glad everyone is safe! I think I'll keep my Chicago blizzards and "lake effect" snow...:w

Not Old...

Who needs a green-screen when you can have a HP-25C programmable calculator with RPN and continuous memory! Built in the USA, back when men were men and... oh, you know the rest...:rotfl

Your pick of the Porsche Cayman is pretty interesting. That's a beautiful car inside and out... just not sure if it's $65grand worth of beauty. Big difference between that and the C7 in looks, go-power and price. Personal preference for sure.

Interested to see if an 'entry-level' C7 arrives at some point. That will be a great car on its own!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom