Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

...seems that others appreciate a set of Double-D's for their style, w/in>

*89x2*

Last night, while waiting for my delayed flight home, I walked down to the airport newsstand and picked up some of the latest material onthe rack.
With the current copy of Road&Track in hand, I sat down and scouered the pages, hoping for an article decent enough to hold my attention for the next hour - or so... The new RK Coupe feature did just that.

Based upon the new Cayman S, Ruf (a Tier 1 supplier) has taken this new Porsche and done many things in theory, that Callaway Cars does to the base Corvettes. Additional power, luxurious interiors, and of cousre the added style.

Virtually all body panels have been replaced, except for one - remember the Callaway C12? It too, shared little with its donor car, the C5. The entire body, except for the side mirrors and roof panelwere new after IVM's transformation.

The name RK, is an abbreviated moniker. Ruf Kompressor is the cars' full name, and after gobs of air are mixed with the fuel to develop an addl. 145 hp over the base car. The RK Sport does utilize a Porsche 997 envine vs. the base Cayman engine, and operates with 10 lbs of boost from its supercharger.

Expelling the spent gasses from a pair of familiar exhaust tips, the RK Sport uses a set of Double-D tips that are virtually identical in design to what Callaway Cars has offered for well over a decade, hmmm....

With only 49 of the RK's claimed to being built, it will be interesting to see in retrospect, where final production lands. Each car is identified with a unique dash plaque. Numbered, of course.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=4068

From Road & Track:

Picture Link for R&T
Video Link - car in action

100920060238552884.jpg

At first I was expecting to see a different type of Double-D's when I saw this topic... and then I remembered where I was :L.

That's very interesting. I've always liked the Double-D's. It's too bad they don't fit Camaros or C8s better. I don't think they fill the rear well enough.

I'm not sure if it was Tony or Callaway that solved that issue by using them as quad tips, but they look pretty nice:
DSC00078.jpg

55191669DZOpWE_ph.jpg

I'm a little more fond of what my mom has on her car, but it would never fit the C8 rear bumper:
146436981prnBcL_ph.jpg

Callaway Owner, 8388, has exhaust similar to your Mom's, on his 1991 B2K. He has two sets of those tips however, on the back of his car.

image10.jpg

Also, here is a picture of the "Stock" Cayman S, and its original exhaust:

(interesting to see how it evolved into the Double- D on the Ruf car...)

porsche_cayman_s_uff_post.jpg

Is it just me or not? When I look at 8388's outer right exhaust i can see the pavement through his exhuast tip?

Groeten Peter.

I see that as well... that's very unusual!

Is it just me or not? When I look at 8388's outer right exhaust i can see the pavement through his exhuast tip?

Groeten Peter.

When I welded those rectangular tips, I wasn't sure I'd keep them that way, therefore, I never spent too much time on them. Since that car has been driven a total of 80 miles since 1998, I kinda left it that way for now. It pretty much sits under a cover. I was thinking of possibly redoing the exhaust, and relocating those tips to the center of the bumper.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom