Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Selective Ride (FX3) vs Adjustable Suspension (Z07) vs NEITHER

Corvette
93 RUBY Coupe-6Speed,Z07
Just when I had it straight in my mind, someone asks me "What's the difference?" The last time I heard the question, I checked my reproduction Buildsheet (WARNING: PLUG from the NCM) and found it clearly states BOTH!
So I have to ask, what IS the difference? Does anyone know? Why would I not choose FX3, Z07, or ride blissfully down the road without? As I didn't buy the car new, I'm not privied to the marketing pitch made for the $2000 optional Z07, or the $1000 FX3. There has to be something special about them.
Any enlightenment?

Can anyone explain the differences between FX3, Z07, or neither?

I wish I could help you out silver, but I'm not quite sure of the differences. All I know is that the FX-3 has 6 different settings within each of the 3 different modes (tour, sport, & performance mode).
I'm also pretty sure that the cars with a Z07 code had the larger braking system

Jay

FX3, or the Seclective Ride Control (SRC) was a set of ride-adaptive shocks that was optional from 89-95.

Z07 was a special, high-performance suspension option available from 91-95. Part of Z07 was FX3. Z07 combined the springs, stabilizer bars, front lower control arms, wheels and tires of the FE7 HD suspension (which was previously part of the old RPO Z51) with FX3's SRC shocks.

In MYs 91-95 you could order either, FX3 (the SRC shocks alone) or Z07, (the SRC shocks and FE7)

Complicating this is ue was the confusting situation in the 89 and 90 model years when both FX3 and Z51 were available. An undocumented "feature" of Chevrolet's RPOs back then was that if one ordered Z51 and FX3 together, that automatically downgraded the car to the FE1 (base) suspension leaving the customer with only a few non-suspension related components of Z51 (the quick rack and cooling changes, basically).

Why would I not choose FX3, Z07, or ride blissfully down the road without?

Generally, Z07 (with its FE7 HD suspension) was the option autocrossers, road racers and other very aggressive drivers ordered. The spring rates of FE7 were significantly higher than that of FE1 and, thus, Z07s rode more stiffly than did cars with only FX3.

Thanks for the answer. I knew only a part of it. The used car dealer wasn't much help in this regard, except to point it out, that is. It seemed to make him believe he could charge the full price of the original RPOs when he sold me the car.
On the other hand, it is a nice riding car.
Again, thanks!
-John
Happy with my first.

Also ??

Hib: Do you know if the Z07 included the oil cooler or not? Our Z07 has the oil cooler and I'm not sure if you had to have Z07 to get the oil cooler or if it was included. However, it's there!

And yes, you are absolutely correct the Z07 is one very stiff ride! We've never driven on the roads with the switch set at "ridiculous!" ;)

I'm pretty sure that the '91 Z07 was the stiffest factory suspension system ever provided on a Vette. And that it also included stiffer Bushings. In '91, Z07 was limited to 6-speed coupes and '92 up had it available with automatics also.

Z07 included the engine oil cooler in MY91 only. That was the only model year that Z07 was available on a car with the L98 engine.

92-95 had the LT1 engine which did not have an engine oil cooler.

I guess it's subjective, but I don't find the ride particularly stiff or hard. The touring mode offers a ride comparable to my Bonneville, while the performance mode could be considered stiff, but not overly so. The seats have good cushioning and lumbar supports, so unless the road is really bad, I don't feel it any more than in the Bonne.
On the other hand, maybe it's because I haven't ridden in many corvettes. Or maybe I'm used to the horrible roads we have in New England where were it not for the potholes, I'd still have most of my fillings.
-John

Hib Halverson said:
....Complicating this is ue was the confusting situation in the 89 and 90 model years when both FX3 and Z51 were available. An undocumented "feature" of Chevrolet's RPOs back then was that if one ordered Z51 and FX3 together, that automatically downgraded the car to the FE1 (base) suspension leaving the customer with only a few non-suspension related components of Z51 (the quick rack and cooling changes, basically).
I have seen Z51 + FX3 cars from back then... I thought they were the 'old' Z07 cars, before they came up with an RPO code for it. Basically, it was my understanding that ordering Z51 and FX3 gave you 3 stiffer settings, just as the Z07 does... is that the case, or is it different? The 'old' z51 cars always had extra stuff added in (fans, oil coolers, etc.) so what was actually included?

So... would I be able to replace my Z51 springs with the "CPE FE1" springs to soften the ride a little? I didn't know the lower control arms were different... would those need to change too?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom