Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

serious electrical problem- NEED HELP PLEASE

good job, glad you found the problem!

electrial issues can be a PITA at times, but usually not too impossible to track down.
When you know you have power at point A and no power at point B than you know that SOMETHING inbetween is causing the issue, even if it's not immediately obvious so with enough searching you do eventually find it as you did. :beer

srs244 said:
no there isn't anything connected to the other solenoid terminal. after tracing the wiring from the solenoid outward, i discovered a bad connector in the harness that contained the 2 hot leads (fusable link lines) to the main electrical system. what must have happened was that while disconnecting the leads to the solenoid and moving them out of the way to remove the starter motor, the connector (located behind the distributor) which must have been weak to begin with, was moved and faulted. after disassembling it as best i could, and cleaning with electrical contact cleaner and re-assembling it, the circuits were completed and functional once again. i guess almost 30 years of use and heat finally caught up with that connector and even the slightest movement of it maded it fail even though it looked perfectly ok.

i really appreciate all the input and time everyone who helped me out put into my problem. it made dealing with this problem and it's ultimate solution a lot easier to deal with. electrical problems can certainly be a real pain.

SRS,

I am glad as well. You bet those problems are frustrating. :mad

Tha's the same connector (I believe) that on the L81 is numbered C403 on the diagram. In mine, one of the leads to the blower seem like it got hot (plastic melted around it). Never gave me a problem, though.

Congrats! And now you'll be able to move one to whatever other issues the Vette could have. :upthumbs

GerryLP:cool

Since you have power at the "B" terminal on the solenoid, I would go with GerryLP's idea of the Remote Starter Switch connected to the "B" & the "S" termials on the solenoid. If the engine cranks, but doesn't start, then I would look at the "Starter Interrupt Relay or "Theft Deterrent Control circuit / components. Also the idea that the alarm system was unintently activated and is now acting to prohibit the engine from starting. My 81 alarm system is de-activated only from the driver door with a key. Theft Deterrent on the 81 gets power from the Ignition switch when in start position; the "Theft Deterrent Fuse & the Radio Fuse with ignition switch in "run or "Accy" positions. There are also 7 switches in the circuit that may have a role in causing you no power problem. I can provide scanned pics of both "Starting" & "Anti Theft" trouble diagrams from my shop manual via e-mail at cddmhr@peoplepc.com.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom