Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 serpentine belt

1996 LT4 Topic
Not all belts are the same for LT1's. 92-93E use a double-sided belt. Good luck finding one - Dealer only (or catalog).

George- did you swap pulley's to fit a regular belt?
When I bought the "Gatorback" belt I noticed that it was not double-sided, but I figured Goodyear knew what they were doing. I did not swap or change any pulley's when I installed it. Despite the Gatorback belt not being double-sided, there is plenty of tension (grip) on it to operate properly and not slip. Seems to be working great so far. I may have gotten a "bad" OE belt from my local dealer because it did not even last 14 months.

CG

Hey I thought just like all of you that I had after market pully or needed a special tool for a the standard LT1/4 DAYCO belt I bought from Pepboys, it just would not fit over the alt, it was so damn tight, seemed like the belt was just to small.

I then decided to route the belt over the alt and ac compressor and basically over the crankshaft pully and then pull the tensioner toward you (standing on drivers side) and slide the belt on at the tensioner, there is no lip to deal with on the tensioner and I was able to do this one handed, it will go on and then line up on the top side of the crankshaft pully, jiggle it back and forth till it lines up on the top of the crank pully.

Took me about 5 mins total. You dont need a longer belt or special tools or loosen alt brakets, just route the belt and slip it over the tensioner while pulled back as far as it will go.

As far as belts not lasting very long is usually because it was either not aligned correctly or slightly to big causing the belt to wear faster under load. That is why the stock belt is tighter than hell.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom