Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shifter Modification

BobbyG

Corvette
2004 Z06 Millennium Yellow
Although the stock shifter in my 04 Z06 was adequate for Sunday drive shifting it left a lot to be desired in feel and proper gate engagement during power-shifting.

Years ago, back in 1971 I used to have a Hurst T-handle on several cars I had and remember the feel and control, something I missed with the stock shifter.

I gave the folks at Hurst a call and was very disappointed when they told me they "no longer make the aluminum t-handle". Now I was certainly surprised and not sure if I really believe them. :SLAP

I don't give up easy so I bought a NOS off EBay for $15.00 and modified the thread from the conventional 45 degree threaded hole for standard angled shifters to a 9/16-18 straight thread to accommodate the stock shifter in my Z06. :upthumbs

Here's some photo's I took this afternoon.

Drivers View.

hurst0005650ho7.jpg

hurst0004650oq0.jpg

hurst0006650oq0.jpg

One thing I didn't like is the leather boot doesn't stay up high enough to hide the threads. I may remove the shifter and shorten it but for the time being I'll keep it this way.

I didn't know if this was an actual modification or not but I do like the feel and control mush better than stock. :lou

New shift knob looks great!

What are the advantages of the T handle vs the standard shift knob? I've got an MN6 and will be interested in your reply...

New shift knob looks great!

What are the advantages of the T handle vs the standard shift knob? I've got an MN6 and will be interested in your reply...

The T-Handle conforms naturally to your hand in the closed position.

To understand what I mean, make a fist with your right hand and it's important that your fist be be straight or in-line with the center-line axis of your arm. If you look at your knuckles, they're angled to the right, if you look at my shifter I also have it slightly angled to the right for a more natural feel. The design of the T-Handle fits perfectly when grasped, Hurst did their homework on this one many years ago.

Once installed and the first time you use it you can actually feel the level of control you have and shifting will be much for natural and planned. When shifting from 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 5th, you're actually aiming the shifter toward the gate due to the firm, ergonomic style grip.

There are different style T-Handles from other companies but I like this one the best. The only downside I see is the aluminum can get a bit cool in colder climates, but it warms up pretty fast.:beer

Hope this helps you. If you have any other questions ask away.

The T-Handle conforms naturally to your hand in the closed position.

To understand what I mean, make a fist with your right hand and it's important that your fist be be straight or in-line with the center-line axis of your arm. If you look at your knuckles, they're angled to the right, if you look at my shifter I also have it slightly angled to the right for a more natural feel. The design of the T-Handle fits perfectly when grasped, Hurst did their homework on this one many years ago.

Once installed and the first time you use it you can actually feel the level of control you have and shifting will be much for natural and planned. When shifting from 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 5th, you're actually aiming the shifter toward the gate due to the firm, ergonomic style grip.

There are different style T-Handles from other companies but I like this one the best. The only downside I see is the aluminum can get a bit cool in colder climates, but it warms up pretty fast.:beer

Hope this helps you. If you have any other questions ask away.

Thanks--appreciate the explanation...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom