Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shipping a car

Mtnbiker

Corvette
1990 Black/Black LT5 Coupe
I might be purchasing a car and I'll need to ship it... has anyone done this recently and can recommend an auto transport company? I'd fly out and drive the car back (a nice get acquainted ride), but can't.

Thanks

I shipped mine, but all I can tell you is who not to use. I've heard DAS (I think that's the name) is pretty good, not the cheapest but does a nice job. Where is the car and where in CO are you? Maybe I'll go out and drive it back for you.:D

I shipped mine, but all I can tell you is who not to use. I've heard DAS (I think that's the name) is pretty good, not the cheapest but does a nice job. Where is the car and where in CO are you? Maybe I'll go out and drive it back for you.:D

I'm in Colorado Springs and the car is in North Carolina... it's not so much that I can't drive the car, it's that it comes with the original tires in addition to the ones on the car. I guess I could also look into driving the car and shipping the tires. I've made similar trips in the past and really would rather not drive through Kansas again lengthwise! That's a long state. So far Jayhawk and Bluestar are looking like decent choices, but online reviews are hardly 100% reliable.

Doug

Doug, driving across Kansas isn't that bad, I do it about once every 6 weeks of so (SW to NE). However, I certainly understand. We have made a couple of trips from here to NC and VA. It's a good long trip.

I highly recommend Intercity Lines. We use them whenever we can and have full confidence in their handling of our Corvettes. Check them out.

Elaine

I might be purchasing a car and I'll need to ship it... has anyone done this recently and can recommend an auto transport company? I'd fly out and drive the car back (a nice get acquainted ride), but can't.

Thanks
Cruzer99 shipped his from California to My place here in NC! He used STATE2STATE !!! No Damage, it cost him $850!! Nice New Rig!!:upthumbs

Do not use A AAAdvantage Auto Transport, Inc. I repeat do not use this company. I emailed them with all info and they said no problem, 2-3 days to pick it up and a 7-10 days to my location. I waited 2 weeks they wouldn't pick it up and said they couldn't get a truck.

They still have my $1450.00, they said they are having trouble refunding my money, they said it is a computer glich.

I went with DAS and it was pick up the next day and arrived a week earlier. Good to deal with.

Now I have my vette but not my $1450 from the original shipping company.

Still phoning them everyday, and paying intrest on the $1450 on the credit card.

Still phoning them everyday, and paying intrest on the $1450 on the credit card.

Can you contact your credit card company and put it into “dispute” status?
I’ve done this before. While my claim was in dispute, I was not responsible for interest.

B17Crew
:w

Thanks

I have used DAS Auto shipping, 4 times from Florida to Hawaii. Car always made it without a scratch. Including my current 97 Vette

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll definitely contact DAS for a quote. Believe it or not, Intercity refused to give me a quote. Either my point of origin or my destination is not in their area of service. Bummer.

Edit: I'll check State2state also, thx GMJunky

Can you contact your credit card company and put it into “dispute” status?
I’ve done this before. While my claim was in dispute, I was not responsible for interest.

B17Crew
:w

Better yet, contact your credit card company, give them the facts, and they'll remove the charge from your account. That's ultimately what you want!

Elaine

I started the same way looking for a shipping company and was quoated $750.00 to $900.00 so I started making phone calls. I had mine shipped from Indianapolis to Milwaulee for about $300.00! I contacted my car guy at the local Chevy dealer. He put me in touch with one of thier buyers who inturn contacted the carrier that they use on a regular basis to transfer new and used cars from dealer to dealer. (kinda a favor for a good customer thing) If you have a strong connection with a auto dealer ......or if one of your buddys does? you may get a solid refferal or save some Cash! Alot of these dealers send cars back and forth the way you and I send mail. Have you looked into
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AutoMobileMove.com[/FONT]​

I started the same way looking for a shipping company and was quoated $750.00 to $900.00 so I started making phone calls. I had mine shipped from Indianapolis to Milwaulee for about $300.00! I contacted my car guy at the local Chevy dealer. He put me in touch with one of thier buyers who inturn contacted the carrier that they use on a regular basis to transfer new and used cars from dealer to dealer. (kinda a favor for a good customer thing) If you have a strong connection with a auto dealer ......or if one of your buddys does? you may get a solid refferal or save some Cash! Alot of these dealers send cars back and forth the way you and I send mail. Have you looked into
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AutoMobileMove.com[/FONT]​

Wow, you got a great deal... was it enclosed shipping? I'm finding that enclosed adds quite a bit to the price, but I'm willing to pay for that. I'm seeing a number of quotes for 700-900 for open carriers, then it jumps to 1200-1800 for enclosed. I'm also shipping a little further though, east coast to Colorado.

I shipped my 1967 Corvette from California to North Carolina last year and used Horseless Carriage. The cost was $1600.00 and they use closed trailers. I watched the loading and my son the unloading and both operations were extremely careful and professional. No damage whatsoever. All scheduled times were dead on the money or early. I recommend them highly. Lots of shippers are just brokers and do not own their own trucks. They take your order and then sub out to whoever is going in that direction. You don't know who will be handling your car. Be most careful with that part of the deal (see nelson84's problem). Good luck
Paul

I shipped my 1967 Corvette from California to North Carolina last year and used Horseless Carriage. The cost was $1600.00 and they use closed trailers. I watched the loading and my son the unloading and both operations were extremely careful and professional. No damage whatsoever. All scheduled times were dead on the money or early. I recommend them highly. Lots of shippers are just brokers and do not own their own trucks. They take your order and then sub out to whoever is going in that direction. You don't know who will be handling your car. Be most careful with that part of the deal (see nelson84's problem). Good luck
Paul

This is what happened to me with my '94. When I would call to find out the status, the company that I contracted with didn't have a clue where my car was or anything about it other than "It was picked up on this date." Finally they gave me the name of the company actually moving the car from one place to another...but they couldn't tell me much more.

Good news, I recieved my $1450.00 today, only took 15 days of phone calls:beer .

My choice would be to ship the tires and drive the car myself. Let's face it, nobody will be as careful with your car as you will. Additionally, the weather is great now too. Buckle-up, save the wave, and enjoy!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom