Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shocks $580.00 apiece

gmhowe

Corvette
1985 4+3 black cpe & 96 LT1 CE
Took my 96 LT1 CE in for alignment ( 3 hours $240 ) and shocks need replacing, seems with the RIDE SELECT feature only Monroe has shocks for that feature for $580 apiece, so I said put some good regular shocks since I really don't use that feature. Just an FYI ( I think its the F45 option )
Gordon

Did you keep your old shocks? If they're Bilsteins I believe Bilstein will rebuild them for you.

Didn't even think of that till I saw your post, not sure if they were them or not. and shop probably doesn't have them since it was last week
Gordon

That's higher than the FX3 shocks. :eek:hnoes

Shocks

You should try the price tag for the new Magnetic Ride control shocks....
$900 a piece. Should you want to go the regular shock route, you need electronic adapters so the computer won't go haywire....;)

Alex,
My 90 has the ride select and the shocks were gone when I bought the car. The connectors are still there. I haven't had a computer problem yet. What are the symptoms?

Did you keep your old shocks? If they're Bilsteins I believe Bilstein will rebuild them for you.

Yes Bilstein can rebuild your shocks, approx $145.00 each.

tcxd40

Alex,
My 90 has the ride select and the shocks were gone when I bought the car. The connectors are still there. I haven't had a computer problem yet. What are the symptoms?

rlg, fortunately I haven't had any problems with either one of my Vettes' shocks, I was quoting an ariticle/question that was answered in one of the Vette magazines. I want to say that it was either Vette or Corvette Fever and since the thread appeared, I've been trying to find it again. There's a little more like getting adapters to trick the computer as to be able to use regular shocks.

When I purchased my '93 the ride control was already disabled. Being it was a competitive SCCA car the factory shocks were changed to Koni adj. shocks. In speaking with the original owner the only item he mentioned is they pulled the bulb so the light would not come on. I have not had any issues of any kind with the non working ride control.
I have the original shocks and all wiring is still in place.

tcxd40

Alex,

It's possible they may have removed the light bulbs from the DIC.

I'm not sure about 90, but on 92 there is a electrical connector in the drivers rear storage compartment. It is located on the bulkhead & about the size of a pack of cigarettes. Disconnecting that disables the DIC lights.

If the FX3 has a problem it will illuminate "Service ride control" on the DIC.

tcxd40

Hi, just a little clarification. The 96 uses a different system its called real time damping. Its a different system then the older fx-3 used till 95. There is no interchangibility. The shocks are manufactured by Delphi. So Bilstein will not touch them as they did not manufacture the product. It is an expensive system to service. So you will have to either absorb the cost or fully disable the system and use standard shocks for a non f45 96.

Actually that's exactly what I did, told them to put on regular shocks, I will disable it later this week, and I did put a piece of Electrical tape over that part of the display on the dash. Now to replace the antenna which is whining and not going all the way down.
Gordon

tcxd40

Not a good bargain. For $200 apiece, I can have shocks with a lifetime warranty. With rebuilds they are good for 90 days. So, unless you want them revalved to your specs, I would go with new.

There is a place which has shocks at a more realistic price.

Such as? I am looking at getting shocks with FX3 and the best I have seen them for is $200 apiece. If someplace sells it for less, they will have my undying gratitude and business. Hell, I'll even throw in my first born son.

There is a place which has shocks at a more realistic price.

Which system?
I will repost what I already said.
The 96 uses a different system its called real time damping. Its a different system then the older fx-3 used till 95. There is no interchangibility. The shocks are manufactured by Delphi.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom