Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

shocks and brakes???

poorboys831

Corvette
1993 ruby red coupe
My '93 LT1 has KYB gas shocks and the car really rides hard IE: every bump in the road comes up and bites my butt-kinda feels like I'm riding on concrete tires.She does handle great runs true and straight as an arrow.I'd like to soften the ride.All the bushings are in very good shape- no cracks or sloppy steering.Can any one give a clue as to what was on the car -it came with the "soft ride option".Next can i swap out ZR1 13" rotars and calipers without changing anything else? thanks for your help in advance-dennis :w

How many miles on your car?

How old are the shocks? I don't believe that they could have been original, (not optimistic news) but I have heard that they also ride "softer" than Bilstiens or Delcos.

Corvettes ride rough on crappy roads. I've had to get used to it.

Upgrading to 13'' rotors shouldn't be that hard. Most upgrades are sold in "kits", so everything you will need should be supplied with the kit. You need a minimum 17'' rim to fit the size of he rotor. your '93 "fits the bill" in that department unless you have fitted your car with smaller rims.

Best of luck. Spiderman :w

hi spiderman,shocks are not origanals for sure car has 134k+ miles .i know some ride rough i had a '78 but it did ride better (softer) than this one.of course my '97 &'99 were almost like heaven.while looking at my console option specs. soft ride option was an origanal or add on and every one i've asked just says they are stock shocks.but it doesn't make much sense that stock shocks would be an option :w :confused

So if you want it SOFTER

Get some Pepboys shocks......

OR

buy a Caddy.... the Vettes will not do the BOAT thing well.

Vig!

Can we trust the quality of the Pepboy's shocks?

Most Vette' people seem to go for the Bilstein shocks and Raybesto's pads. Don't know anyone who has upgraded to ZR-1 rotors though, I saw the cost on those and was like :eek

Edmond

Pepboys do not make their own shocks...

I believe monroe does

All I was suggesting... ( In joke form)

If you want a BOATY ride...put in cheap shocks.

Vig!

o.k.,o.k. guys not looking for a boaty type ride i get sea sick in the bath tub!!! just looking to get back to the option ride the original owner paid for! This car has had 4 owners before me,so it's impossible to get to him or her to ask what the ride was like.i'm thinking chevy must have had a way to soften the ride with that option.:w

Bzzt

You had 2 options

SUPER FIRM

and

SPINE CRUSH

Every Vette I have been in ( C-4 ) rides like a slot car... except my 84 which I did put Pepboys shocks into...( had no $$$$ at the time)

You have the bilsteins or th KYB option from the factory....

That's it!

Except for FX-3 but you dont have the selective ride control switch on the dash.

Vig!

Hi Vig,I found the rpo#'s FE1="soft ride suspensions" FE7=heavy duty suspension- I have the FE1 option.So i assume the shocks are as you describe for this option.i'm not saying they are the originals thats for sure since they are gas kyb's and of course the miles on the car.Do you think the Bilsteins would supply the softer ride than what i'm getting now? I know tires have a lot to do with this problem thanks again for the advice-dennis:w

I do not find an FE-1 listing ( 93 )

In my Corvette black book...Hmmmmmmm

Vig!

Ahhhhh but

FE-1 does show in the shop manual!

reading further!

Vig!

My '91 has the base FE1 suspension option and I'm still riding on the factory Blistiens. They need replacing. I have just over 76k on the car. Even the littlest pothole (when it can't be avoided) feels like a ditch. With the advice that I've gathered on what to replace my shocks with, I have decided that going with Bilstiens would be "my" best choice. Flat, aggressive cornering is one of the favorite things I love about driving my Vette. A new set of KYB's may be your best option. They give a little more in the corners but they have a softer ride.

If you have over 130k on the car you may also want to think out replacing the mono springs. Worn springs can cause a lot of dental work.
What does your ride height look like? Does it sit low?
There has also been a few threads started on tires contributing too a rough ride.

Spiderman :w

Clear as MUD

Well according to the book you replace shocks when they leak..but it isn't a maintaniance item

So FE-1...Soft ride

FE-7 Heavy Duty suspension

FG-3 Bilstein Gas shocks

FX-3 Electronic ride & handling.

NOW

Bilstein makes the replacement FX-3 shocks

Mid America make a cheepie set
( assuming stock replacement) for FE-7

And I'm going out on a limb here..FE-1 MIGHT have different rate springs for "Soft Ride"

Vig!

hi guys thanks for the advice i'll give mid am. a call in the morning-the tires are BF GOODRICH COMP t/a say the pound rec.@44lbs.theres the concrete i bet :w

44 LBS

I HOPE your not refering to tire pressure!

No wonder!

Vig!

Wow I run @ 30 psi

And that's to much~

Vig!

vig,i agree but those are the #'s on the tires and i checked them and they are at 40-43LBS.i've had the car for about 2 months and never had a reason to check them.Been too busy detailing and getting temp. problems under control.I'm going to drop the air down to 38lbs. and keep an eye on the wear.The front tires are pretty new soooo i'm not in the market yet.:w dennis

I'm running BFG Comp T/A ZR's. 275/40R-17. The MAX rating on those tires is 44 psi. They will ride like rocks at that pressure.

I run mine at 36psi. Great tire. They stick like glue and look cool too.:D I would have no hesitations putting another set of BFG's on my car.

Spiderman :w

My ride is bone jarring to say the least (Z52), but in all honesty, I like it like that. If I want a smooth ride, I'll drive my Camry. But it's really nice to have a change of pace once in a while.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom