Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shocks on a Z51 84

sriat

Corvette
1984 Bright Red Coupe
I am a limited back yard mechanic. I have noticed that the (Bushings) I think that is what they are called on the shocks. IE the rubber/nylon that goes around bolt at end of shocks is deteriated and is coming out of the ends. So I think that the shocks are origional.

First question: I have the Z51 performance package. Does this influence what type of shock I should put on.

2. Recomendations of what shocks to put on. I want performance over ride.

3. This looks rather straight forward to do myself. Is this somthing I should try or leave for the pro?

If they are original shocks they should be the HD Bilsteins, I would go with these as the replacements they are fantastic, if $$$ is a concern then try KYB Gas-A-just.

Mart

I'm not positive, but I don't think all Z51's came with the Bilsteins (RPO F51?). If you got the Z51 it allowed you to order the Bilsteins. The Bilsteins they sold you back in 84 are not supposed to be as good as the ones they sell today. I just replaced all my shocks with the Bilsteins and they look sweet. Can't drive yet as I'm in Alaska and you know that means snow. I ordered mine from Summit and their customer service is superb. Everyone says the KYB's are good also and they are a lot cheaper.

I did run rpo and I did not get the Bilsteins. However I am going to take your advice this weekend. With temperatures in Kansas more like temperatures in Alaska (10 deg F) I will see if I can get the garage warm enough. Thanks for the help.

I am pretty sure ALL Z51's were HD Bilsteins, What is RPO F51?

If you go to any of the Vette supply places and try to order shocks it will ask if you have the Z51 then it will direct you to Bilsteins.

After reflecting I think you may be right. With the Z51 package the Bilsteins are included. The Bilsteins just dont have their own RPO

Help me out with RPO? These automotive shortings should have a explanation manual for a dutch guy like me.

For what it is worth my '86 has the Z51 Handling Package and it also has a sperate listing, FG3 Bilstein Shocks. Now it could be that Z51 could force FG3 but it is listed seperately.

Sadly the previous owner replaced the shocks and went with a tire store brand replacement. Soon I will be getting some Bilsteins.

ok put on the Bilsteins today. Substantial ride, handling improvement. Please note that the priors were WORE OUT. I could compress so easy it was almost like not having shocks at all. Thanks for everyones helpl

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom