Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shocks

Superc63

Corvette
1993 Ruby Z07 x2, 1988 Dark Blue Z52
Hello,

I am going to put new shocks on my Vette pronto. I have looked at all the options...but still do not know which shocks would suit my uses best. I am planning on using my Vette for autocrossing...also for driving on nice days. But basically, ride quality takes a far second to all out performance handling. Has anyone used the Edelborck IAS shocks? Also, I notived two different types of Bilstein's, anyone have any recomendations/experiences? I know a guy I spoke to at P-S-T told me that the KYBs are cheaper than the Edelbrocks and better...anyone agree/disagree?

Take It Easy,
Chris

The Edelbrocks are good for regular driving, softer than Bilsteins. They're probably what you want.

But they wont outperform Bilstein at the autoX

Welcome to CAC Chris :D Lots of nice folks here and a wealth of information.

Shocks can be a confusing chioce especially if you are looking for a compromise in ride quality and occasional a-x use. 84's are known for their firm ride anyway due to stiffer springs (they were softened for 85 and later cars) so you may not be able to get a real soft ride compared to later C4's.

I have used KYB shocks and they are a very good shock for the money. They are a bit stiffer than a standard shock but I don't think they are as stiff as something like the Z51 Bilstein shock. For all out autocross, there are a number of good shocks like Koni, Penske and such. I have an 87 I use for autocross and I have a set of Bilstein Z51 shocks on it that seem to work for me. I paid about $70 apiece for them. You can get KYB's from Summit Racing for $27.99 each. Don't have any experience with the IAS shock, but they seem to be pretty pricey.

I added poly busings to the front and rear sway bars and that helped handling for autocross a bunch. I used the "advanced street" alignment settings from Vette Brakes and it seems to work for both street and autocross. I'm running Kuhmo Estca MX 275/40 tires on AFS 17" wheels and EBC "Greenstuff" pads for both autocross and track days.

Cool

Thanks for the info.. I believe i am going to go with the Bilsteins. I love the harsh ride! Anyhow, I am doing the polygraphite front bushing kit(from PST) right now...figured I'd replace the shocks while I have everything else apart. I can't wait to get it back together. Should feel great. Next project is U-Joints all arond...need to eliminate the vibration at 70+MPH. I was actually very surprised at the condition of my front bushings...looks like the control arm bushings were by far the worst whereas in my prior cars, the sway bar bushings were always the first to go. As for the forum having useful information...I know. I've been reading in here for almost a year...just now decided to sign up and ask a question! Naturally I am glad I did!
Thanks,
Chris

Edelbrock Shocks

I recently acquired a '95 with 20,000 miles. I had issues with the stock Bilsteins: the ride was harsh, so harsh that on a bumpy road (about the only kind I seem to find anymore) the rear wheels broke traction and the ASR came on. Really nasty stuff. I looked into a number of shocks and rode in a couple of F-bodies with Edelbrocks and was impressed. So, I put a set on. I'm not certain if I believe all of the technical explanation given on Edelbrock's Website, but the shocks do perform. Roads that I had problems with at 30MPH are easty at 70. I detect no more body roll or brake dive than with the Bilsteins, and an informal shalom on the highway patrol academy track (a sneak-on deal) convinced me that I didn't give up much performance to get one hell of lot better ride.

If all roads were smooth race tracks or parking lots, I'd go with something else. For the real world, I'm sold on the Edelbrocks. Money well spent.

If it were me I would go with Koni, they are by far the best auto X shock.

I too was greatly confused when it came time for new shocks. Stay with the bilsteins or go with edelbrock or KYB or etc. etc., it made my little head spin. My car is a daily driver so I wanted something that wouldn't ride hard. On the advice of several people, I went with the KYBs from tirerack.com, and they made a huge difference. They are firm and responsive without being harsh, they seem to be tighter than the stock ones (well, the originals were fifteen years old, duh). I couldn't be happier with the KYBs and I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom