Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

shop manuals

R

retiredjumpmaster

I need to know where I can get the factory service manual for my 86 vette, I would like to find the manual that comes in a red binder that I have read about on the forum. I spoke to HELM and they couldn't tell me if it was in red? I am about to start getting in knee deep and don't want to use a Hanes.

PS I would like to thank the help that I have gotten so far from the folks on this forum for their help and direction.

David:w

I bought mine on E-bay, Just pay attention to the sellers ratings and how many auctions they have done.

Ditto for the above comments.
I also picked up a parts CD on eBAY which you may also find useful.

Price on Helm looks OK for the 86 manual ($88.00)
They wanted $105.00 +Shipping for the 93 Manuals.
I bought mine for half that on e-bay. They were a little used, but in very good shape.

As long as you use Paypal and buyer protection is offered in the auction I think you should be OK. I have bought many things on e-bay and never had a problem. But I'm fairly carefull who I buy from.

Good Luck!

Helms Manuals

Yes, They are red, at least mine was, They are very handy. I could not believe how easy it was to change out the front shocks on my "86" . It took A half hour each side-at the most, Good as new. Speaking of shocks ( I don't want to hijack your thread) I thought mine were the origional gm delco, but they also say bilstein on them- mine does not have the z51 package. Are they actually bilstein shocs,and should I have them rebuilt as the only reason I changed them bacause the rubber bushings were cracked and very dry rotted. Good luck on your manuals- I got them on e-bay for a great price, they were origionally ordered directly from helms. Manual number is ST36486 and supplement is ST 36486S. Website is helminc.com. Good luck and I'm sure you are going to have fun (for the most part) knowing you did the job right and the satisfaction goes a long way, saving money and doing it properly!:upthumbs

save the wave:w, Jammin Jeff:bu

Price on Helm looks OK for the 86 manual ($88.00)
They wanted $105.00 +Shipping for the 93 Manuals.
I bought mine for half that on e-bay. They were a little used, but in very good shape.

As long as you use Paypal and buyer protection is offered in the auction I think you should be OK. I have bought many things on e-bay and never had a problem. But I'm fairly carefull who I buy from.

Good Luck!

The 93 series consists of two books; book two is the drivability, electrical and emissions diagnostics, book one is everything else. 1986 may be only one book. (I'm not sure what model year they expanded to two books).

Also, make sure you get the red cover book. There is a white cover which is the preliminary issue and is basically a rehash of the previous MY. Anything new for your MY will not be covered.

The 93 series consists of two books; book two is the drivability, electrical and emissions diagnostics, book one is everything else. 1986 may be only one book. (I'm not sure what model year they expanded to two books).
'88 had two manuals.

Also, make sure you get the red cover book. There is a white cover which is the preliminary issue and is basically a rehash of the previous MY. Anything new for your MY will not be covered.

Quite right! They keep expanding, The shop manuals for my 99 Yukon is FIVE books. Thankfully the price was still reasonable ($139.00) from Helms inc.

If you follow that train of logic and find a manual for a car back in the fourties it should only be one page long. :rotfl

My advice is to get the Manual from helminc.com as stated above. Who cares what color the cover is--Helm is the Original Equipment supplier. :)

My advice is to get the Manual from helminc.com as stated above. Who cares what color the cover is--Helm is the Original Equipment supplier. :)

Helms issued both the preliminary (white cover) and the final (red cover). So you should care what color the cover is.

I was able to buy a GM Service from a woman on ebay, she emailed me back and said there was a supplement for the electrical stuff. Got the book for $100.00 I hope this takes care of my curiosity.

Thanks for the support
David

I was able to buy a GM Service from a woman on ebay, she emailed me back and said there was a supplement for the electrical stuff. Got the book for $100.00 I hope this takes care of my curiosity.

Thanks for the support
David

If you only got one book for $100 you got screwed. The electrical "supplement" is actually book two of a two book set. It covers electrical, emissions and drivability diagnostics. Book one covers everything else.

Maybe the post came out wrong, I got both the GM manual and a electrical supplement for $100.00. I think I scored this time?.

David:)

Maybe the post came out wrong, I got both the GM manual and a electrical supplement for $100.00. I think I scored this time?.

David:)

You done good

I've seen them cheaper, but sometimes it's better to pay up a little for immediate gratification rather than waste time trying to save a few bucks.

As a new owner of a 1992 corvette, is the Chilton manual worth the money for general information about upkeep and minor repairs on my car? Or do you recomend the purchase of the complete set of manuals from Helm's? Thanks for your input.

Dick

I recommend the Helm Factory Manuals. They have everything and you will learn alot and be prepared if you have to take it somewhere.:)

I bought a GM manual from ebay, and it is loaded with information, but some places I think you need to be a mechanic to understand?. I think that this manual along with a chiltons would work better for the common guy.

David

I recommend the Helm Factory Manuals. They have everything and you will learn alot and be prepared if you have to take it somewhere.:)

I've even loaned mine to my mechanic when I've needed work done that I didn't feel qualified to do.

As for retiredjumpmaster's comment about needing to be a mechanic to understand some places, that's true. These manuals were written primarily for dealership service technicians, so they're not going to explain every little detail.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom