Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shots of my new oil pan

norvalwilhelm

Corvette
75 blown bigblock
These are some shots of my new homemade pan.
kbcf2f.jpg

kbd4yu.jpg

This is some of the internal baffling I added. The front hoop is for hard breaking and cornering and the slanted rear is for hard acceleration.
I am using the principle of fluid flowing and trying to direct it’s escape route into my sump. Only time will tell if I works.
kbd5bd.jpg

It is made from 16 gage cold rolled steel and mig
welded together. Believe it or not you get less distortion from MIG then you do from Tig.
I have to leak test the pan. To do that you paint all welds with Bluing, a machinist lay out die, Then dump alcohol into the ban and any tiny crack will allow the alcohol to creep out and remove the layout die.

After that I will finish grinding and cleanout up the appearance of the welds and then have the pan powder coated.
I will then calibrate the dip stick
To do this you choose a level of oil you are comfortable with. In my case it will be just to the bottom of the windage tray. Using varsol I will carefully dump quarts into the pan keeping track of the number until the ban is filled to the level I want.
I will then mark this down as the oil pan capacity,’
Once the pan is on the car I will fill it to one quart LESS then capacity, let it sit and install the dip stick. I will then mark the dip stick and lower level or down a quart.
I will add the quart to full level and remark the dip stick as full. Using an engraver I will do a nice job of marking the dip stick and the safe zone.
I will show pictures after my son powder coats it red.

My friends each got a new pan this winter and Doug brought his over. I wanted one. I priced them at about $400 from Moroso and being cheap decided to build my own,

I will send the powder coating guys a pizza and a case of cokes for changing the production gun from black to red and doing the job.

Cheap? Somehow, I find that a bit hard to believe. Great idea on the leak test!!

-Mac

Mac said:
Cheap? Somehow, I find that a bit hard to believe. Great idea on the leak test!!

-Mac

Mac I will spend $5000 on heads but hesitate to spend $400 on a oil pan. If I can do it myself I figure " Why spend the money" I shoe horses on the side to pay for the car, that way the wife never asks/complains about how much I spend. If I have to work x number of hours shoing and I can build the pan in the same time or less I do it myself.
Yes I can be cheap at times but other times I spend it.

if this is for road racing i would have bought a trap door box setup so the oil can get to the pickup when the trap doors open and close so the oil can not run away from the pickup

norvalwilhelm said:
I shoe horses on the side to pay for the car...
Unless things have changed, I take it you spend a good deal of time up in St. Jacobs and the surrounding farms? Wonderful area and good folks!!

-Mac

Mac said:
Unless things have changed, I take it you spend a good deal of time up in St. Jacobs and the surrounding farms? Wonderful area and good folks!!

-Mac

Mac I am impressed. St Jacobs is just around the corner. I go there to buy my horse shoing supplies. I buy Kegs of shoes. A Keg is about 100 or so shoes. The going rate for a pair of shoes is $20. I pay $1.85 per soe or $3.70 per pair and resell them for a more reasonable $7.00
I am not trying to get rich off horse owners. I enjoy the work.
You must have been in this area at one time???

motorman said:
if this is for road racing i would have bought a trap door box setup so the oil can get to the pickup when the trap doors open and close so the oil can not run away from the pickup

I do road running, hard corners alot. I tried to direct the oil on slosh so it is driven into the pickup. I tried figuring out how the oil will react to braking /acceleration and cornering and put obsticles in it's way when it tries to run away from the pickup. While it looks at times like the obsticle is directly in the path of oil trying to get to the pickup it hopefully is just redirected to have no option but to go where I want it to go. Like the back of the pan wall is at 45 degrees so the oil can't climb up the back of the pan.
I could draw it on paper to try and show the oil path under all conditions but I can't do it on a computer.

Think of a rock in the middle of a fast flowing stream. The water breaks around the sides of the rock gaining speed because of the rock, directly behind the rock is a void, the water is actually at a lower level there. We then dam the river behind the rock with gates that redirect this flow around the sides of the rock and deflect the water in behind the rock giving it no option but to go there.

At the same time if the river suddenly reverses flow like in hard braking the rock if it is horseshoe shaped prevents the water from again flowing upstream because it runs into the horseshoe shaped rock.

That is a poor comparison but that is what I had in mind.

norvalwilhelm said:
You must have been in this area at one time???
Before I joined the RCMP in 1988, I worked for NCR out of their K-W branch... and I have friends who retired in Kincardine. I expect things have changed in K-W but I doubt they've changed in St. Jacobs or at least I hope not!!

-Mac

Mac said:
Before I joined the RCMP in 1988, I worked for NCR out of their K-W branch... and I have friends who retired in Kincardine. I expect things have changed in K-W but I doubt they've changed in St. Jacobs or at least I hope not!!

-Mac

Mac you wouldn't know the place. It seems to have doubled in the last few years. Where there was open fields is now thousands of homes. I actually live is St Agatha , about 4 kilmeters outside waterloo on Erb street. It is still the same small village, I love it but all aournd us is new housing starts.

RCMP Very impressive.

i am not big on reengineering the wheel and there are lots of pans out there that work. a expensive engine is a poor place to experiment with oil pan dynamics. i have modified oil pans for special aplications BUT i always bought a ready made trap door box to install in the pans. JMHO

motorman said:
i am not big on reengineering the wheel and there are lots of pans out there that work. a expensive engine is a poor place to experiment with oil pan dynamics. i have modified oil pans for special aplications BUT i always bought a ready made trap door box to install in the pans. JMHO

I am not re engineering a wheel. I am just saving myself $400 by building a pan. I have seen 2 bought ones, that gave me the push. As far as internal baffling I have done more then the bought ones towards controling oil movement.
I have a 50 pound warning light, big red thing you can't miss, NORmally I run about 70 pounds oil pressure. If in an instance I see that big 50 pound light come on I am off the throttle. With a little testing I will quickly see if my pan works or not. I can easily pull it without touching the headers.
You would really hate my 14 inch brakes and hydroboost.

As far as bending up a pan if you have access to a good brake and a little skill with the brake and a welder building a pan is no problem.

norvalwilhelm said:
RCMP Very impressive.
It pays the bills. I have a few years left before retirement. When I'm sitting back, bouncing grandkids on my knee, it'll be impressive. Right now, it's just hard work.

-Mac

Mac said:
It pays the bills. I have a few years left before retirement. When I'm sitting back, bouncing grandkids on my knee, it'll be impressive. Right now, it's just hard work.

-Mac

Mac it's a position of respect. To be a rcmp officer is impressive. You have a position people look up too. I'll be impressed right now.

norvalwilhelm said:
I'll be impressed right now.
Thank you... and I'm impressed by your carefully planned and amazingly executed Corvette which is a testiment to your skills and craftsmanship.

-Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom