Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shoulder seat belts for a 66

Islander

Corvette
1966 roadster
[font=&quot]OK, I got a very nice set of correct late 1966 push-button seatbelt buckles. The car, a convertible, did not come with shoulder belts, though I can install the bracket and add them. However, I don't want to go with the original setup, I want an inertial reel system.

The set up I have in mind would have the push-button buckles by the arm rest, the reels by the door sills and the 3rd body attachment point at the bracket, high on the wheel well. The clasp would be a slider-type.

My questions are these:

Do I position the reel low by the seat next to the door sill or high and behind the seats attached to the bracket? Other than fitment issues, are there any safety issues of placing the reel low by the seat?[/font]

If you are really planning on driving your car into a wall or head on into another car, one end of each of the shoulder belt anchors needs to be farther back, or the seat has to have a seat back lock that can take a ton (literally) of stress.

To allow head on driving, I would recommend swapping out the seats for a set that has built in locks and built in shoulder harnesses (or harness loops). Besides seat back locks, my Recaros also have stereo speaker headrests, and lumbar supports. I prefer not to install shoulder harnesses. 30 years ago, when I lived in NY, I had been in several severe wrecks without air bags or shoulder harnesses - no crippling injuries incurred. Since moving to the midwest, far fewer problems ducking idiots and drunks - because there are far fewer people here - thus far fewer idiots and drunks.

You can see the seats via the Details page, linked off my home page (listed below).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom