Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sidepipes and noise

henny496

Corvette
1963 Corvette coupe(pro street)
Hello
I recently started up my car and tried it with open headers and then with mufflers on
My headers go out the sides and I have mufflers which are DNA's. The car is loud....way too loud. The mufflers took the sharp crack off from the headers, but it is deafening inside the car
I bought some spiral inserts that I can use inline with the DNA mufflers. They will help kill the noise for street use, but the car is louder inside than out
Next summer will be track time only and to sort things out, but I am looking for something effective to use and where to place it to help with the noise.
Dyna Mat is $$$ and I was wondering if there is a suitable alternative and any other ideas to help with this
thanks again
Tom

There is no cheap way to reduce noise inside the car... Dynamat works well. I've also heard of a liquid which can be sprayed like thick paint but I can't recall the name. When I searched for it, I came up with this one...

The Ultimate in a Sound deadening paint

Again, not cheap but likely cheaper than hear aids...

-Mac

Hello Mac
Thanks for your reply. I have not heard of a sound deadening paint before...sounds interesting
I used Lizard skin in the car for heat retention and now that you mention it, I am not sure if they have something for sounds as well?
If I have to use Dyna mat, I wonder how much has to be done if it is a side pipe car??
just wondering if inside the doors and something under the rockers is enough.....it is extremely loud
thanks again
Tom

Hello Mac
Thanks for your reply. I have not heard of a sound deadening paint before...sounds interesting
I used Lizard skin in the car for heat retention and now that you mention it, I am not sure if they have something for sounds as well?
If I have to use Dyna mat, I wonder how much has to be done if it is a side pipe car??
just wondering if inside the doors and something under the rockers is enough.....it is extremely loud
thanks again
Tom
I've driven in 67HEAVEN so I know the sweet thunder. :D

The paint looks very thick, for all it's supposed to be water-based. I still can't recall the original product... Someone recommended it a couple of years ago and my memory isn't all it's cracked up to be...

-Mac

Hello Mac

Thanks again for your reply. Did you ride in the car before and after or know how much difference it made?
thanks again
Tom

Hello Mac

Thanks again for your reply. Did you ride in the car before and after or know how much difference it made?
thanks again
Tom
After only... I believe Bob used Dynamat but we drove to Bowling Green together, Bob had the spirals out of his sidepipes so every crackle of the 502 was evident and earplugs were necessary.

Fun, though...

-Mac

After only... I believe Bob used Dynamat but we drove to Bowling Green together, Bob had the spirals out of his sidepipes so every crackle of the 502 was evident and earplugs were necessary.

Fun, though...

-Mac

:DI thought it was just right when I rode in it.

:DI thought it was just right when I rode in it.

LOL I know what you mean. 30 years in a manufacturing plant and the noise doesn't bother me at all......love the sound
I'm just not sure about any female passengers and the boys in blue

The radio in my '67 was useless over 35 mph. The faster you go the better they sound.

Tom

Having a radio and a nice sounding engine is like having two good songs on at the same time
no radio will ever be in this car
Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom