Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sidepipes

M

matchframe

I am restoring a 78 shark, and I would like to use sidepipes. Is there any way of doing this and remaining street legal?

I don't know for sure, but, I think you could use the shorty emission style headers, or stock manifolds in conjuntion with a cat per pipe very close to the manifold (much like a 88-96 Vette), then turn out to a Factory style 69,70 sidepipe.

The baffle would be in the pipe.

I don't see anyway that you could do the hooker style and retain the Cat converters, and AIR pipes.

me too

Chris,

I have a '69, 427 tripower. Are there any setups that you would recommend? I like the sound of the JCL baffles.

Blue69L88

matchframe.
i'm directing this towards you being that you live in texas.
i have a '77 with sidemount headers and sidepipes. glasspack mufflers but no cat. in Texas at the age of 25 your car can be registered as antique. and it will no longer need cats. making just about any exhaust combo legal. it would be very convenient for you to do this modification after the new year, or at least don't register it until then. better yet, get it inspected now, then do the mod and you'll be in the clear if you register it antique before the inspection is up next year. the latter being your best option.

just my opinion. based on what i have done.

sam

Sam,
Only problem with registering you car as antique is you can only drive it in parades etc. Not as an everyday driver.

Matchframe,
Cats are not required on cars older than 1984 in Texas. However if you have a car 79 or newer you will probably need a cat to pass NOX test. Your car will be exempt from tailpipe sniffer testing the end of this year so go for the sidepipes.

Mike

I have a 79 as well, I have no cats and have intalled headers. I passed emissions still. I wouldn't worry about it though were right around the corner of being exempt from all these emissions stuff

WWWWOOOOHHHHOOOOO!!!!
:_rock :_rock :_rock :_rock :_rock :_rock :_rock :_rock :_rock :_rock :_rock

sidepipes here we come!!

Hey I have another question regarding the sidepipes, I have seen in the Ecklers catalog sidepipes for C3 vettes up til 74 but none for later years. There are sidepipes for later that 74 right?

sure there are
it depends on what type you want
i'm not certain right now exactly what type of sidepipes ecklers carries. but if you look in summit's catalog you'll find replica C2 sidepipes which are basically sidemount mufflers. if you look at their online catalog you can find sidemount headers, with glasspacks that sit inside the sidepipes.
you just have to look around and find the pipe combo you want.
if you look at the C3 forum here you can find a few threads on sidepipes from just in the past few months.

Re: me too

Stingray74CC said:
Chris,

I have a '69, 427 tripower. Are there any setups that you would recommend? I like the sound of the JCL baffles.

Blue69L88

I have heard the JCL baffles are the best. I was going for quiet as possible operation, and opted for the standard ones. They may be hurting my hp a little, but the sound is as mellow as one would expect under the circumstances.

It is really up to personal choice, and how much your neighbors will tollerate!

Hey Chris

I was going to ask you if you had installed those JCL baffels. When you take that car to get dynoed uncork the mufflers in the tubes, or remove them altogether, and do an open header run. That could be a MAJOR restrictor.

baffles HP loss

Jim from JCL told me that Chuck, the guy with the BlueL88, lost only 6 HP with the JCL baffles in. I thought that was pretty amazing.

Proof

Here are the differences between Open Sidepipes and the JCL baffles! Once I'm able to picture my car with sidepipes and get used to the idea....and $$$ I may do it and post my OWN dyno graphs. Can't wait till I get her goin good enough to dyno her.

Darn, can't see the difference. It's about a 5 hp difference and a 14 ft/lb torque difference I just wish I had 477 rwhp:bu

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom