Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

silly question.....but need location of battery in '78

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
I bought a '78 Indy Pace car down in the Atlanta area and right now it is sitting at a friends house inside his garage....I won't be down for several weeks to pick it up and sent him a battery tender to put on it so I don't have issues when I come down to get it....he took a quick glance under the hood last night and didn't see the battery....any photos of where that battery is located?

Please send the photo to htmiata99@aol.com and I can forward it on to him.....thanks, Herb

Like Ed said, look behind the driver's seat in the compartment tray. Can be a bit tricky if the hookups are on the side of the battery, a little easier if they are on top. Good luck with your new 25th Anniversary Pace Car.

Ed has it right ;)

The battery is directly behind the Driver Seat. There is a compartment there that the battery sits down into. I believe your 78 has 3 Compartments directly in back of the passenger area ;)

I've used a battery tender on the alternator + lead and chassis ground before, I don't think it is probably the best way, but it does work ;)

Bud

I just bought one too.

firstgear said:
I bought a '78 Indy Pace car down in the Atlanta area and right now it is sitting at a friends house inside his garage....I won't be down for several weeks to pick it up and sent him a battery tender to put on it so I don't have issues when I come down to get it....he took a quick glance under the hood last night and didn't see the battery....any photos of where that battery is located?

Please send the photo to htmiata99@aol.com and I can forward it on to him.....thanks, Herb

Yep, battery is behind the drivers seat in a compartment. I know cause we had to jump mine the other day so I could drive it home. Get use to the Longggg hood. Really cool car and I got lots of :upthumbs on the way home with it.

H.D.

thanks everyone...I would not have guessed behind the drivers seat....

it is a cool car....I have always liked them....this is an L82 with 4 speed....there were only like 190 of those built...I figure that my other cars will probably snub this one since it isn't red.....but they will get use to sharing the garage with this one....

thanks again!!!!

this is an L82 with 4 speed

Lucky dog... I was searching for one but ended up with the auto. Mine is an L82 as well.

I do have a question that someone may be able to answer. What RPM do you guys normally run when doing 65-70 MPH? The trip home in mine the other day the tack was showing between 2800 - 3100 RPM. The tranny seems to be strong and shifted very well. I'm thinking that the reason for the high RPM is because of no overdrive (OD). It has been a long time since i drove a car without OD and I don't know if this is normal.

Thanks

H.D.

Heavy Duty said:
this is an L82 with 4 speed

Lucky dog... I was searching for one but ended up with the auto. Mine is an L82 as well.

I do have a question that someone may be able to answer. What RPM do you guys normally run when doing 65-70 MPH? The trip home in mine the other day the tack was showing between 2800 - 3100 RPM. The tranny seems to be strong and shifted very well. I'm thinking that the reason for the high RPM is because of no overdrive (OD). It has been a long time since i drove a car without OD and I don't know if this is normal.

Thanks

H.D.

assuming you are talking about a 78, i turn about 3200 at around 75mph. and yes, it does take a bit to get used to. you keep waiting for that one last shift (that never comes, lol).

steve

srs244 said:
assuming you are talking about a 78, i turn about 3200 at around 75mph. and yes, it does take a bit to get used to. you keep waiting for that one last shift (that never comes, lol).

steve

Thanks. What you stated seems right on the money and yes......seems odd to not have that one last shift.

The car in question:
attachment.php

Just picked it up this past weekend.

:w
H.D.

firstgear said:
thanks everyone...I would not have guessed behind the drivers seat....

it is a cool car....I have always liked them....this is an L82 with 4 speed....there were only like 190 of those built...I figure that my other cars will probably snub this one since it isn't red.....but they will get use to sharing the garage with this one....

thanks again!!!!

It was put there for weight distribution reasons which make sense, but what a PITA location if you need to tender or jump.

JJS said:
It was put there for weight distribution reasons which make sense, but what a PITA location if you need to tender or jump.

I bet that when the time comes to R&R the battery cables it is a real test of religion and self control:ugh.

H.D.

Heavy Duty said:
Thanks. What you stated seems right on the money and yes......seems odd to not have that one last shift.

The car in question:
attachment.php

Just picked it up this past weekend.

H.D.
even though these are not red, I have always liked them for sure.....so I got one....now I just need to go and get it!!! 2 weeks away!!!

firstgear said:
.this is an L82 with 4 speed....there were only like 190 of those built...I

Congratulations on the new ride. Just curious how you came up with the 190 number.

Gary

Heavy Duty said:
I bet that when the time comes to R&R the battery cables it is a real test of religion and self control:ugh.

H.D.

The negative is not so bad. At least on mine it comes out of the battery compartment and ties to the frame. The postive is a beotch to change out. Out of the battery compartment, down the driveshaft tunnel above the tranny and on to the starter. Oh yeah, lots of fun and you may even invent some new words.

All C3s should have the battery behind the drivers seat. By the way, nice pace car. I have always been a fan of them.

Oh yeah, lots of fun and you may even invent some new words.:L

I hope i don't have to do that for a long time. I will say that there is a lot more room to work on stuff than my C4 or the Z and thing appear to be a lot more simple to work with.

By the way, nice pace car. I have always been a fan of them.

Thanks. Got lots of :upthumbs up the other day driving her home. I do need to do a little stuff to it. Looks like a Carb rebuild coming up and either a power steering valve body or cylinder. Got way too much play in the steering wheel. This morning I was checking it and could hear some kind of sucking noise when you rock the wheel from side to side coming from the area where those tow live.

even though these are not red, I have always liked them for sure.....so I got one....now I just need to go and get it!!! 2 weeks away!!!

Are you driving it back to Ohio? I saw a '78 on e-bay a couple of weeks ago for sell down in GA. Is that the one you bought? If it is it looked like a nice car. I've got a serious color combo for my garage...the Z is electon blue, the C4 is Dark red, and this one is Silver and Black. I just hope no fights break out at night:L. My question is which one would be considered big brother??? The C3 or the Z?

Got to love those C-3's.......Head Turners for sure.....Congrats on the Vette.

Thanks Daryl. I really enjoyed listening to the 350 on the way home. Really cool car to cruse in. Nothing bets the sound of true duel exhaust. I think there may be a set of headers going on soon.

H.D.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom