Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Slight hesitation around 1800-1900 rpm!

• Thread starter Thread starter 91zr1
  • Start date Start date

91zr1

I have a slight hesitation around 1800-1900 rpm's.I talked
with the former owner and he said to change the plugs
as he washed the engine and there was probably moisture
in the plug wires.I pulled the boots and did find some rust
dust on some,not all, of the boots.How do I clean inside the
boots? Someone suggested diaelectric grease.It does not
stumble or hesitate all the time just occasionally.I really do not
want to have to change the plugs.Any suggestions?
91 ZR1

Use a long Q-tip and some alcohol or electrical cleaner, just don’t get any on the LT5 finish..Plugs are no problem to change on a ZR-1..for #8 the AC box is a two part box.

I use a real EZ tip to do #8. first I drop in a socket, then a 3" extension (mate to the socket), with a universal on top. makes it very ez to get the plug lose.

once the plug is full lose, pull the extension out of the socket, and use a "snatch and grab it" or a flexible magnet to pull out the socket with the plug.

it helps to remove the plug with a socket with the inner rubber liner, and install with a socket without. I use a standard plug socket with a piece of electricians tape for install to just lightly grip the plug, drop it down the well (gently) and then mate the short extension, and finger tighten the plug, then torque it.

it makes changing #8 a breeze!!! all the other plugs are pretty ez to get to. make sure the engine is cold, and use some good anti sieze on the plug threads.

sounds like the hesitation might be something other than plugs. you need to get EASE or put the car on a diagnostic machine to help pinpoint the problem.

things to check, plug wires, coil packs, injectors, 02 sensors. hopefully one of these will reveal a problem. also verify that the TPS is smooth and progressive on the volts. they can go bad and cause the same symptom.

good luck!!

Hi, Ron,
I beg to differ. I suffered 6 months trying to figure out why my 94 was hesitating. Tried all sorts of things. In the end, it turned out to be one plug w/ defective insulation. Lt-5 with recessed plugs, makes it real easy for these plugs to arc to the valve cover and you can't see it because its happening inside the hole! iIt's definately worth a try.:w

very true, by all means change plugs first. a bad plug is an ez thing to fix and eliminates that possibility.

Changed the plugs,changed back to the original chip and
still have the hesitation.I am going to try some redline
fuel injection cleaner and then go from there.
Any suggestions?
91zr1

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom