Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

small headlight glitch

Jim B

Corvette
1974 L82 Grey coupe
On my 74 one light doesn't quite go up all the way (about 2-3 inches low. But it goes down fine. Is this a simple adjustment? Or a usual vacuum problem?

I'm no expert, but it sounds like a loose vacuum hose.

It sounds like you have a bad seal on the actuator. It only affects the lights going up.
Mike

Thanks, How do I go about checking for aseal? Appreciate any help. Jim

First I would check to manually open the headlight housing. With the engine off and both headlamp doors in the closed position stick your finger tips under the door housing in the front and lift up until the headlamp is locked open, if it locks open 2 or 3 inches lower then the other light then its an adjustment, if the headlight door opens as far as the other one it’s the actuator. To close headlight doors just start the engine. To check the seal I would remove upper and lower hoses of the actuator at the relay valve and mix up a solution of dish soap and water in a spray bottle. Spray the area around the rubber boot and manually open (BUT NOT ALL THE WAY) and close the headlight door. Open and close the door a few times and look at the boot for bubbles. This will tell you if the seal is leaking.
Here is a good link on replacing the seals for our C3.
http://www.corvettemagazine.com/2002/january/headlights/lights-1.asp
Brian

You need to slide the dust boot forward first to check the seal.
Mike

Thanks, I'll check it out. Have a great one!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom