Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Small Oil Spots on Ground

air1jpg

Corvette
1996 Polo Green LT1 Coupe
I have a small oil leak exspecially when it is almost time for my oil to be changed and then it goes away after the oil is changed. Has anyone else experienced this? I have only noticed about a half dollar coin size spot and a quarter size spot of oil on the ground when this happens. :ugh

What kind of oil are you using? It is as if the engine oil is thinning out with age and finding a weak gasket seal. I would trace the leak and find the actual source. Maybe you have an easy fix. If the leak is minor, but not an easy fix, you may try a high quality high mileage oil (for older engines). Every time I see these oils in the stores, I think marketing gimmick (just rebranded standard oil). But I tried the Penzoil 10W-30 product in a Mustang 302 with 100K and the results were amazing. Viscosity is pushed to the upper 10W-30 range and they add gasket conditioners. These conditioners cause the gaskets to expand. Looks like it is time to pull out the flashlight!!!

Some, but not all, "high mileage" oils may also have a higher phosphorous content. That's not of interest to anyone with a stock engine but for those with pre-86 engines, using flat tappet cams and any valvetrain mods (aftermarket cam, high-ratio rockers, higer pressure springs), you'll need the extra phosphorous to prevent camshaft and/or lifter failures.

For example, Mobil 1's base product is rated ILSAC GF4 and has betweeen 600-800 PPM phos but Mobil 1 "High Mileage" 10W30 has about 1000 PPM phos. Much better for flat tappet motors with valvetrain mods.

Hib, I just read your article in the latest issue of VE. Looking forward to part 2. Have you ever tested the benefits of the gasket conditioners for older engines?

I had the oil changed at 65,122 miles at a Goodyear center on March 29th of this year with the recomended synthetic oil. My car only has about 67,500 miles on it now. Is that considered high enough mileage to use the high mileage oils? I think the oil is coming from the bottom of the engine as I don't see any oil around the head gaskets or the valve cover gaskets.

I have a small oil leak exspecially when it is almost time for my oil to be changed and then it goes away after the oil is changed. Has anyone else experienced this? I have only noticed about a half dollar coin size spot and a quarter size spot of oil on the ground when this happens. :ugh

Where exactly is the oil dripping from? I have a similar problem. I have a tiny drip, V-E-R-Y slow, days apart, it appears on the right side of the cross member. I looked at it with a mirror and it looks like it may be coming from the seal behind the opti. I saw oil on the front of the oil pan. I wiped it all up and cleaned it the best I could last week and placed a piece of white cardboard on the floor and I have not seen one drop. So tonight when I went to change my oil--I use Mobil 1 5W30, have 94+ on the clock--I saw a small drip on the cross member and oil back up in the same area. I spoke with Junk and he recommends to let it go for now. I am going to do just that and when it gets worse I will have him fix it. I do not have the time, tools, or patience to remove the water pump, opti, and replace all three seals behind it.

Paul

Check the drain plug seal. Yours may be worn out or crushed. The heat cycles tend to loosen up oil plugs. That would explain why it goes away after an oil change.

:beer

Where exactly is the oil dripping from? I have a similar problem. I have a tiny drip, V-E-R-Y slow, days apart, it appears on the right side of the cross member. I looked at it with a mirror and it looks like it may be coming from the seal behind the opti. I saw oil on the front of the oil pan. I wiped it all up and cleaned it the best I could last week and placed a piece of white cardboard on the floor and I have not seen one drop. So tonight when I went to change my oil--I use Mobil 1 5W30, have 94+ on the clock--I saw a small drip on the cross member and oil back up in the same area. I spoke with Junk and he recommends to let it go for now. I am going to do just that and when it gets worse I will have him fix it. I do not have the time, tools, or patience to remove the water pump, opti, and replace all three seals behind it.

Paul

I have changed all three seals in the front cover and it's not that much fun. Not difficult necessarily, but not that much fun. Paul, you have followed my saga with the poor running engine and I'm not sure if you have read the latest. But, my mechanic got it fixed, while he had it torn down, I ask him to try and figure out where my leak was and it appears he found that too. It was infact the seal for the opti-drive. Even though I had replaced it, apparently the seal was still good but the "coupler" for the opti was worn enough to allow oil to seep by. The new MSD unit came with a new coupler that slightly larger than the stock OE coupler (maybe the difference of the wear). But after driving it home (40 minutes) and putting it on the lift she is dry under there. And I hope that this fixes my oil leak problem.

I know that intake gaskets are prone to leaking as well, either front or rear, you might check that out.

Congratulations Tom!!! I am glad you got it fixed.

Now, since I just had the water pump and opti replaced with OEM parts are you saying the coupler might not have been replaced as well? So, even if I have all of the forward seals replaced it could still leak? This is a definite bummer. What is your advice Tom? If I have Junk do it should I have him replace the coupler too? Up until now I didn't even know there WAS a coupler. If you get a chance could you direct me to where it might be in the FSM?

Thanks.

Paul

Paul, not sure where in the FSM but I have the old splined coupler in the box with the GM opti my mechanic took off. He said there was something different about the MSD unit....to be honest I didn't even pull the MSD out of the box to look at the back coupler, so I don't know exactly how they are different.

I guess if you have Junk do your work that he would get it right.

Thanks Tom. again, I am really glad you got it fixed and can now have it working right again.

Paul

Check the drain plug seal. Yours may be worn out or crushed. The heat cycles tend to loosen up oil plugs. That would explain why it goes away after an oil change.

:beer

I will check on the oil plug when I get the oil changed in the spring, I am about done driving my vette till then. I couldn't have lost much oil, the oil is still showing full on the dip stick. I hope this is what it is, the cheap fix is always nice.. :beer

My 95' & 96' both have minute drips from the front.Nothing serious though.

Yeah, know what's funny? I walk every day in the woods. On the way to the woods I have to pass a swim center. The other day as I was walking home past it, and the sunlight was right, I noticed a ZILLION oil stains on the asphalt. Some small, most HUGE! So I thought, you know what? A tiny leak that can only be seen with a mirror and takes several weeks to drop to the floor is NOTHING compared to what some people put up with. Then I thought that these people must pour gallons of oil in their cars, they also must feel that they'd rather pay for oil than a repair job. So that really put it in perspective for me. Now I notice oil stains in parking lots wherever I go!
:L

Yes, Life is all about Perspective.

I consider myself SO Blessed to have a C4 much less two of them.

What OIl Leak ? LOL

I agree, I have been blessed with this car. I LOVE what one guy said about owning a Vette, "It comes with an automatic ego booster" ;LOL

I have wanted one all my life, my grandmother had one and I have been hooked since. Someone could GIVE me a Lamborghini and I would trade it in for as many Vettes as it was worth. THAT'S how passionate I am about Vettes.

I Hear Ya....I'm 59 Yrs Old and got my first in 1995 an 84'

Now have a 95' & a 96' LT4

Enough Said huh? Because I only have a 2 Car Garage,.LOL

Yeah, I'm 49 and I got this 94 in January and it is my first one. C5 next then C6. But I LOVE the power, I LOVE feeling pushed back in your seat, I love the mileage. I love everything about this car. Heck, I love working on it. Not a few friends told me I was going through a mid-life crisis which is nonsense, it's just that I FINALLY reached a stage in my life where I could AFFORD one! I gotta tell ya, there is NOTHING like a Vette.

Same here..I looked at my first when I was 25.It was a friend of mine's 62' Vert. He had just finished a body off restoration.Drive train,Paint,Interior the Works.He wanted $3,200.00 for it.Well,I had just gotten Married and we were living in an Appartment so no Garage. What a desecration it would have been to park it out in the weather.Not to mention that my new Bride "Suggested" we not get it mainly because we really couldn't afford it.Wow....I often think of That Maroon C1.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda!

I was/am so obsessed with Vettes that I would call my insurance agent EVERY year and get a quote on a Vette and it was ALWAYS out of my financial reach. I have State Farm and have had them since I was a teenager but friends say I am paying too much. I have 0/50 deductibles (wife's insistence) and I pay $900 a year, is that too high? Next July when I turn 50 I can go with the Hartford through AARP which I understand is much lower. What do you think?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom