Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Small Oil Spots on Ground

Yeah, I'm 49 and I got this 94 in January and it is my first one. C5 next then C6. But I LOVE the power, I LOVE feeling pushed back in your seat, I love the mileage. I love everything about this car. Heck, I love working on it. Not a few friends told me I was going through a mid-life crisis which is nonsense, it's just that I FINALLY reached a stage in my life where I could AFFORD one! I gotta tell ya, there is NOTHING like a Vette.

I'm getting ready to turn 55, got my first C5 at 51. My second at 54. Once you get to the C5 you may find yourself totally content. I just can't seem to get past the curves of a C5. C6 just doesn't do it for me. By the way, try a C5Z. It'll make you 16 again!!!:W

Shoulda, woulda, coulda!

I was/am so obsessed with Vettes that I would call my insurance agent EVERY year and get a quote on a Vette and it was ALWAYS out of my financial reach. I have State Farm and have had them since I was a teenager but friends say I am paying too much. I have 0/50 deductibles (wife's insistence) and I pay $900 a year, is that too high? Next July when I turn 50 I can go with the Hartford through AARP which I understand is much lower. What do you think?

No,Sounds in line.I pay $900.00 and I'm with Liberty Mutual.
No Complaints.

;shrugOOPs, kind of got off of subject didn't we...

Yeah, the C5 is beautiful, like a piece of artwork! If I had the money I would buy a C6 but I would have the headlights modded to make them work like a C5 but I was told that the feds are going to FORCE all cars to have exposed headlights with constantly on lights like my motorcycle. This is ridiculous. People would look right through me on my bike lights or not.

Good for you Jim! Yeah, the C5 is beautiful. I would love a 2004 white coupe with a gray interior, six speed. AND A HUD!!! I have worked on aircraft all my life and I LOVE HUDs. When I saw my first HUD in a Vette I almost wet my pants. AND, these cars are so full of aircraft technology they blow me away. GM really knew what they were doing, even back in 94 they were very sophisticated. The way they integrated all the systems is so aircraft like it amazes me. I remember when I bought the FSM for this car. I spent two weeks reading every single word and practically memorizing it. When I read it I could not believe some of the stuff they put in this car. I can only imagine a C5. Someday, someday...

I am :eyerole with envy!

So Cajun, do YOU have any oil leaks? ;LOL

I agree, I like the way this topic has evolved. You could almost write a book with some of these threads.

I love my C4 but I have always had a love affair with the '77 Indy Pace car. Man, I was a teenager when it came out and it was so far out of reach I might as well have wished for the moon in a mason jar. The C4's are nice and all but the C3's will always have a special place in my heart because of the front fenders. Now THAT is a sexy car.

But the C5's, now that's also a sexy car but a LOT more sophisticated. They're ALL a work of art in my opinion.
:beer

Yeah, know what's funny? I walk every day in the woods. On the way to the woods I have to pass a swim center. The other day as I was walking home past it, and the sunlight was right, I noticed a ZILLION oil stains on the asphalt. Some small, most HUGE!
:L

That's one of the biggest polluters of streams, rivers and lakes. It's called "non-point source" pollution. It's not like an outfall from a factory or a treatment plant where you can say "here's the source". You have all these parking areas and streets with drainage systems that empty directly, untreated into water sources. You can imagine how much stuff a good heavy rainstorm can flush off the surface.

I'm not a tree hugger by any means (although I work in the pollution control biz), but it boggles the mind to think about it.

Both Cars have a few drops in the front,like right under the Harmonic Balancer. I guess a little seeps out nothing to be concearned with.Very Minor. And I agree with you on the C3's.My brother-in-law had a nice 72' coupe which I rebuilt the engine for him back in the 80's.Pretty lime green 4 speed.A fun Car.I could have bought it in 99' for $8,000.00 But there you go. I allready had a 84' and really couldn't afford it then either.

Such is Life.Such are Vettes.

I agree but I have a question. Where does all the rubber go when a tire gets worn and needs to be replaced. I mean there must be ZILLIONS of tons of microscopic tire particles out there on the roads right? Don't they make it into the water supply too?

I like to take care of the environment. I don't throw away my oil in the trash, its better to flush the old oil down the toilet. NOT!! JUST KIDDING. I ALWAYS take my filters and oil to Advance Auto and fill their tank with my old stuff.

I spend a LOT of time in the woods and I like to take good care of it, I hate to see what you mentioned and come to think of it, it must make it's way into the water supply eventually right? How do they get rid of it? You should SEE some of the size of these oil stains. My next door neighbor's old Ford pickup leaks so much oil he has a CARPET under it to absorb it. Now that needs to be fixed but I guess its low on his priority list.

I agree but I have a question. Where does all the rubber go when a tire gets worn and needs to be replaced. I mean there must be ZILLIONS of tons of microscopic tire particles out there on the roads right? Don't they make it into the water supply too?

Part of the tire ends up as microscopic particles in the air (breathe deep) and yes, the rest ends up resting along side of the road where it will either sit till it eventually breaks down or gets washed off into the water supply. A good filtration system will remove it from drinking water, however that doesn't help the fishys or other marine life forms.

Maybe we should go back to horses. At least the pollution from them was fertilizer!

I never realized the trade off we have to have in order to enjoy our Vettes.

Not to mention all the coolant that leaks out. I used to deice aircraft and lemme tell ya, that stuff is so sweet its sickening. It'll kill ya in a hurry too. One time several years ago in ATL they were deicing and a whole lot of it got into the water supply. It was so bad I had to replace the water tank in my fridge. Babies were drinking that glycol laced water. So, yeah, there is a huge trade off to enjoying our Vettes. They and other cars leak oil, coolant, air condition refrigerant, tranny fluid, brake fluid, gas, and who knows what else.

Anyone who would like to go the extra mile to help save the environment can ship their vette to me with a clear title and a set of keys and I will dispose of it for them. :upthumbsJust trying to help ya know...:v

HAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHA ;LOL :boogie

I am ROLLING!!!!

GOOD one Jim, I can see you care enough to keep Vettes "green." :rotfl

Just make sure it doesn't leak oil or any other fluid. :thumb

Paul

HAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHA ;LOL :boogie

I am ROLLING!!!!

GOOD one Jim, I can see you care enough to keep Vettes "green." :rotfl

Just make sure it doesn't leak oil or any other fluid. :thumb

Paul

Green is ok but I much prefer Spiral Gray and LeMans Blue!!!!:W

I didn't think that the AARP insurance was a very good deal. I am paying about $500/year for my insurance with $250 deductables.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom