Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Smog pump (california car)

jasonpzx6r

Corvette
2001 Corvette Z06 (Quiksilver)
Do any of you guys know the difference in California car emissions/restrictions (ie. smog pumps, more HP robbing restrictions) and regular z06. I have a 2001 Silver Z06 w/ 6000 miles and be doing some upgrades, not 100% sure what yet, still looking. I have read some of your posts and ya'll seem very knowledgeable. Thanks in advance.

Jason

There are no practical differences between an 01 sold in CA and an 01 sold in the other 48 states.

Now, CA has it's own certification process and, thus, requires a different emissions label but the engine itself and the calibration in the ECM is the same as elsewhere.

The first thing you can do to your 01 to gain performance is update it to 02 405hp specs. You'll gain 20 hp.

thanks

Hib, thanks alot! I have some plans for air intake exhaust, headers...basically 100HP worth of bolt-ons and programmer. What is the mechanical difference between the 385 and 405 cars? Thanks in advance.

Jason

The engines are slightly different.
02-04, 405hp engines use a different cam, different valves, different valve springs and different cats.

Also, you're not going to add 100hp with bolt-ons and repprogramming, no matter what any manufacturer tells you...unless, of course, your "bolt-on" plans include supercharging or nitrous oxide.

You can gain almost 100, if you add: the FAST intake manifold, a cam (slightly more aggressive than the stock 02-04 profile), AFR heads with the valves out of the 02-04 engine, a set of true 4-into-1 headers, the 02-04 cats and good tuning.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom