Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Smog Pump Removal/Horse Power

R

rbell@idtfla.com

I was wondering if any of you guy's removed the belt from your smog pump? I am thinking about doing that, removing the Cat and installing Flow Masters. Any Ideas for anything else not to expensive? My 81 is bone stock with 45k and I just want to pep it up some.

Thx,
Bob

Yes, I removed the belt followed by the whole rest of the pump. I removed the old cat which was the original and found that it was decayed and partially blocked inside. Replaced with Random Technology high flow cat. Removed mufflers and replaced with resonators that each split into two chrome pipes. I could immediately feel a difference, and the rear wheels would spin with just a little tap on the gas. It had never done that before. There are other things you can disconnect in the engine compartment, but you will need to check with your state to see how much checking they do when you go for an inspection so that you will still pass the emissions part.

I was wondering if any of you guy's removed the belt from your smog pump? I am thinking about doing that, removing the Cat and installing Flow Masters. Any Ideas for anything else not to expensive? My 81 is bone stock with 45k and I just want to pep it up some.

Thx,
Bob

Greater voltage coil, larger diameter wires, new plugs, bump up the timing, gut your cat, K&N filter.

Hello Bob,

I removed the vines inside the airpomp so the pulley is still connected but doesn't drain any hp. Other options are already stated above. For a big upgrade you could get a 700r4 or manual 5 or 6 speed :)

Btw, I think my coil is partially here and partially in the coil-heaven or something. So a new one and an upgrade in one would be great. I want to keep everything in the original distributor cap. What are the options?

Groeten Peter.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom