Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sniped on manuals on Ebay. :-(

Steve Calvin said:
I did. The sniper won though. I think that they have something that waits until the last millisecond or something and then outbids. Not fair and should be outlawed by Ebay.
Steve, I really feel for you a couple of years ago I lost an '85 Coupe to a sniper. I had the highest bid from the beginning of the auction and was within 5 seconds of fulfulling my dream of owning a Corvette. I was out bid by an amount that was below the increment that the auction stated. I was very upset and still am to an extent. I have read all of the comments about bidding more and so on. I bid an amount that I thought was fair and reasonable why should I have bid more? I know that some sellers on eBay will not sell to a person using sniping software. I feel that using this type of software is unethical and other must feel the same way. If you are going to bid on something bid on it and give me a chance to out bid you, don't wait in the weeds and then cherry pick the things you want. Sure I could have bid more to begin with but like I said I had the highest bid until 5 seconds from the end of the auction only to be out bid by something like $5.

If I see something on Ebay that I really want and just can't live without. First of all I bid what I think is a fair amount to start the bidding or to get me on top of the bidding. Then I wait and see if there is a "bidding war" until it is almost time for the auction to end. There have been a few hard to find items that lets say the bid was $50.00 . Close to the end of auction I have bid as much as $200.00 or more to help my odds of getting it. If they want to snipe or whatever , they are going to pay dearly for it. Now if its something I casually might would like to have I just bid as usual what I would be willing to pay and if I get it , I get it . If not , No big deal. This has worked great for me in the past and have only lost one auction that I really wanted and lost by a few $$. That individual paid dearly for that item as I had a bid of 4 times its worth on it.

I'm like everyone else, lost more auctions than i won. Bought snipe software and still win some and lose some. What i like about it is i can put in my bid anytime in snipe program and forget about it. I can't count the number of times i missed out on something because i forget it was ending soon. If you bid using Ebay i just feel that i'm helping jack up the price. If i use my snipe program i make one bid right at the end and if its good enough i win. Like playing poker, no ones knows what you have until you lay cards on table.

correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see the need for sniper software.

If you have managed to become the high bidder at some point in the auction, eBay allows you to enter your maximum bid and will bid "automatically" for you as others try to outbid you. A sniper has no advantage. If his bid is higher than your MAX, he wins. If not he loses

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.....

I've sniped, been sniped, etc. I personally take it as part of the game. I really enjoy eBay (feedback of 736 and growing) as I have been able to find stuff that I could never seem to locate otherwise, for considerably cheaper than I would have thought that it would go for. Sometimes it takes a considerable amount of watching and bidding to finally get the part at the price you want to pay. It's taken as long as 6 months and dozens of auctions before I've gotten the part/item that I wanted at the price I wanted to pay. Most wouldn't put that much effort into it, but I rather enjoy it.

Keep checking eBay, your manuals will show up again...and again...and again. You're bound to win one of those auctions.

That's the way I got both, my driveline parts manual for 53 to 82 and the body parts manual for the same years. All original dealer parts manuals.
Both at the last second, I had to make some quick decisions and beat a guy in Vegas for them.
Like gold these manuals are. Most Aussie parts shops have GM listings, but not for the Vette, so I give them the GM number and presto, the part they didn't think they had they do.

To win you have to refresh your screen like crazy in the last minute of the auction and have a bid that the other guy cannot possibly outbid by the time the auction ends. Sometimes you have to pay a little more, but remember, don't pay any more than 50% retail.

Bit of dirty play......nah healthy competition that gets the blood pumping.

Cheers

Tony

Some people just can't take it.;LOL;LOL;LOL
It appears he posted to whine about the way things go on ebay.I say if you can't take getting beat don't play the game. ;shrug

Glenn
:w

Steave was just venting and evry one jumped on him.

No one likes to loose, just rember that.

coolhandluke said:
Steave was just venting and evry one jumped on him.

No one likes to loose, just rember that.

I agree, and you know Steve is a really nice guy. He's still around, he last visited the forum yesterday. He may not be posting but he is still here with us.

I sniped a couple of ebay auctions last night and snapped up a bunch of snap on tools up last night. I watched them for about 6 days. Some goober thought they were his, he had the highest bid for days however, he lost in the last 20 seconds on one auction, and on two others I beat him by 50 cents. It pays to be a winner BAWAHAHA!

Seriously that is how ebay works. If you don't like it and it bothers you, buy retail!

If you win you win, if you lose you lose. I bid on a Delco Gold CD player for my almost world famous 87 vert (Black Fang) and I got outbid in the last hour. Lucky for me in a way, the radio was the wrong year for my car, but I didn't discover that fact until the bidding was over.
There wil be others!
I probably will have a much better after market unit installed instead of the Bose junk.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom