Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

So my car is probably mostly done( except paint and bodywork)

oceangal

Corvette
1982 silver/claret
and so it seems my 3 year marriage. So do I keep the car or not? My husband is the expert mechanic and master painter, what am I going to do with the car now??? If it wasn't for him I wouldn't have changed a thing and now that I did I doubt its going to get finished. so there goes 10-15k I will never get back plus the cost of the car, another 6k.

I am buying a house (offer accepted) and maybe the car is a pipe dream, heavens knows driving it has been a pipe dream!

I love the car but I don't know how I am going to deal with the painting part, right now its some horrible guide coat.

The split is a long story, mostly financial and his refinancing his house to the point of bankrupting us. I have two kids so I decided to buy my house and move out thanks to the love of my amazing parents.

So, how can I get this car at least painted in a half decent manner??

Should I just spray paint it a solid color until I can afford to have it done right or just sell it?

If it were me, I'd sell it. You can go out and find another for less than you'll spend to finish the one you have.

Way back when my marriage was getting shaky my now ex-wife highly suggested I sell my 1968 Corvette,a car that I bought new,I knew things were coming to an end so I figured why lose a wife and a car....not to totally come up short I kept the car....if the car is yours and if you can afford it keep it and use it and get it repainted when you can....if you wind up selling it you can always get another one down the road.... as for me....its been awhile since we split but I am still cruising and saving the wave....felt good to go to a car show today.
Lee

Lori, I have been following your posts since you started working on your car, sorry to hear of your current trials and tribulations, seems like you have a lot on your plate right now.If it were me I wouldn't paint it any other color than what it came with, it will significantly reduce the value of what you can get out of it. Maybe its time to sell and make a fresh start (as you seem to be doing anyway). In any event, good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Regards
Roy

Sorry for everything you're going through. I've followed your progress on your vette for quite a while.
If you're wanting to keep the vette but just want it painted, take it to Maaco or something like that. If memory serves me right, it was almost, if not ready for paint and they would be your cheapest option (I'm going this route on my BMW M3 in preparation for its sale). If you did sell it, I'm sure you'd get more for it if it was painted.
I wish you the best and hope that you'll continue to be a corvette owner.
Good luck!

Lori,

I am so very sorry to hear this latest chapter in your life. At this time, I would not spend any amount of money to repaint it. You have a lot of other things going on right now. A good paint job/bodywork is going to be very costly. If you do decide to repaint, definitely paint it its original color. It's cheaper to do that, in the first place, and it will be worth more down the road.

Should you sell it? Maybe, maybe not. You've already got it, you've had some expensive work done to it...that money cannot be recovered. I would probably keep it but not put any more into it at this time. That will come in good time.

Please keep in touch...I want to know how you're doing.

Elaine

Thank you all for your input and kindness.

Since I dont' have a car payment I can wait a bit I guess. I did contact the local voc school to see if they want to use it as a body shop project. It can't really look any worse than it does paint wise.
They told me the instructors are gone and to contact them in september.

and I wrote to the New England Institute of Technology in Rhode Island.

Thank you all for your input and kindness.

Since I dont' have a car payment I can wait a bit I guess. I did contact the local voc school to see if they want to use it as a body shop project. It can't really look any worse than it does paint wise.
They told me the instructors are gone and to contact them in september.

Brilliant idea

Sorry for everything you're going through. I've followed your progress on your vette for quite a while.
If you're wanting to keep the vette but just want it painted, take it to Maaco or something like that. If memory serves me right, it was almost, if not ready for paint and they would be your cheapest option (I'm going this route on my BMW M3 in preparation for its sale). If you did sell it, I'm sure you'd get more for it if it was painted.
I wish you the best and hope that you'll continue to be a corvette owner.
Good luck!

When I just got tried of working on mine I decided to just throw a paint job on it and drive it. That was two years ago. I had Maaco paint it; it cost under $500 and looks good to this day. If you are not looking for show quaility but can't stand the primer any longer it a good way to go.
Good luck with your new life. Remenber people come and go in your life but Corvettes are a Life Time LOVE. :L

Gary
SAVE the WAVE

Don't sell it! If it is not your daily driver and is paid off,stick it in the garage and let it sit(properly stored) until you can get around to finishing it. Don't become one of those people(like myself) that says"wish I still had it".

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom