Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

So the backs came off easy. . .

Corvette
1972 LT-1/Air coupe w/all options
But the front bumper looks like a much bigger project!

Gah!

Does anyone have any hints, clues pictures or diagrams?

My service and assembly manuals are in the mail. . . ;)

All I can tell ya Erik is that there are bolts that look like they need to come off but they don't....

Start by pulling the bumperette bolts first, remove them and then there should be one at each corner, lots of fun to get to, and then one in the middle (I think, been awhile on the '68)

Have fun!

68Roadster said:
Start by pulling the bumperette bolts first, remove them and then there should be one at each corner, lots of fun to get to, and then one in the middle (I think, been awhile on the '68)

Have fun!
Oh don't Candy coat it Roady!! The ones on the ends FLAT SUCK!! and the two in the front arn't bad!! And Just be Thankfull it is not a 73 or Newer Rubber nose them twist'n off Little basturds!!;LOL :upthumbs

Yeah, I know what you mean now.

The lower bumperette bolts are all but siezed on both sides of mine. The tops are easy to take off (although you obviously want to do that after the bottoms) but all I've done with the bottoms is round them a little and bang up my knuckles a lot.

I'm going to have to get the car up on jackstands or ramps to get better access to these bolts. Maybe with more leverage I'll have a chance.

It's gonna be a few weeks, though since this weekend is about over and the next few are booked.

I remember trying to replace the plastic chin spoiler a few years ago and giving up because of these very bolts. . . :(

I did take off enough other parts to figure out how to get the bumper itself off, once I get that far.

Getting the sidepipe covers off is going to be a real treat too! :D

The car will look sweet with all-new brightwork, but it's gonna be a long road.

Yeah they tend to get rusted up pretty good. I replaced both bumperettes a few years back so I had no heartache about cutting the heads off. Just had to do that on Whiplash's bumperettes as well.
You almost have to have a maintenance plan for front bumper bolts like changing oil. Every 10k miles pull the bolts and lube 'em up a little.

junk, no sense spitting hot sauce on an open wound! Yeah those corner ones are fun, about the only time you get to use that little universal joint in your socket set.

Have fun travellin tomorrow, it's just plain soggy in the Big D, been raining all weekend and supposed to let up til tomorrow some time.

Erik,
You may wanna soak them bad boys right now....a little PB Blaster might help.

Erik S. Klein said:
But the front bumper looks like a much bigger project!

Gah!

Does anyone have any hints, clues pictures or diagrams?

My service and assembly manuals are in the mail. . . ;)

Get someone to help with the front bumper- someone to help steady it after you get it lose. I'd loosen the bottom ones completely and take my time with the upper ones on the sides. Get someone responsible to help.

DON'T USE PENETRATING OIL!!! You'll dork up the fiberglass and when you go to repaint it... you'll get funny blisters around the holes where the oil leeched into the 'glass.

Hope that helps!!

Erik S. Klein said:
Don't those damage the bolt? Not that it matters at this point. . . ;)
you only use them if your normal 6 point socket won't take them off because the corners are rounded, then I would replace the fasteners with new. They have saved me from getting out the cutting torch several times ;)

My biggest issue right now is leverage. I've gotta get the car up to get more torque on the bolts. . . :)

DarkShark78 said:
Get someone to help with the front bumper- someone to help steady it after you get it lose. I'd loosen the bottom ones completely and take my time with the upper ones on the sides. Get someone responsible to help.

DON'T USE PENETRATING OIL!!! You'll dork up the fiberglass and when you go to repaint it... you'll get funny blisters around the holes where the oil leeched into the 'glass.

Hope that helps!!

Sort of like the paint blisters you get when the front seal on the AC blows and the oil soaks through the back of the hood?

THOSE SUCK!

I used a socket wrench with a U joint built into the neck, it wasn't that tough.

Erik S. Klein said:
My biggest issue right now is leverage. I've gotta get the car up to get more torque on the bolts. . . :)

Yea I know what you mean, thats why I say the best $2000 I have ever spent on tools was for my 2 post lift, it only took 40 years of laying on my back to do it though;LOL

Eric,

Are you putting your LT-1 coupe back to a more stock appearance, why are you taking off the bumpers?

early shark said:
Are you putting your LT-1 coupe back to a more stock appearance, why are you taking off the bumpers?

I'm just pulling the chrome to get it all replated and then it goes right back where it came from.

I'll do a few more things that can carry forward to a restoration over time, then do a full body-off job when I have the cash. At that point I'll probably go NCRS proper for the car.

Are you going to Pleasanton, this weekend? I recently bought another '71 LS-6 coupe, I'm starting to hunt for some correct parts, need rear exhaust tips, rocker moldings, A.I.R. system.

early shark said:
Are you going to Pleasanton, this weekend?

Probably not. I'd like to, but between the kids and the honey-do list I'm probably stuck at home until 2019! :)

early shark said:
I recently bought another '71 LS-6 coupe, I'm starting to hunt for some correct parts, need rear exhaust tips, rocker moldings, A.I.R. system.

Very cool! I've always wanted a rat motor car but I found this beast before a big-block presented itself. I haven't been disappointed, but I'd love for Sunshine to have a twin someday. . . ;)

BTW, for those following along, I've given up on the lower bumper bolts and I'm going to drive over to a local garage to have them professionally rounded or cut! :D

At this point it's worth $40 for me to be rid of them!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom