Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

So you think you have a tight fit. !

Corvette
63 Resto Coupe-Red 65 Roadster
I have just completed the installation of the underdash portion of the heating and air conditioning hoses. The job was made all the more difficult, because of the necessity of installing Stainless lines, ( as per the instructions of the customer ) and AN fittings on all the hose ends for the AC installation.

The first pic ( the only one where you can clearly see the bulkhead fittings ) does not show the clearence between the fittings and the heater box which is only 1.5". It took a total of no less then nine ( 9 ) moulded sections of rubber hose to get everything hooked up, with a reasonably expectency of not having any leaks.

I had the AC follow come over with his monsterous AC machine, and we partially filled the system, checked for leaks, and were thrilled to see that there were no ( touch wood ) leaks. As for the heater hoses, once everything was in place and tightened up correctly, I presurized the system to 16 lbs, and after 12 hours, no reduction in pressure has been noticed. I now have confidence that once everything is buttoned up, it will not present any problems.

I must admit that this was not the easiest installation I ever made, and one that gave me many sleepless nights. For those of you who find that the area is filled, one must not forget that there are also two additionnel 3" flexable hose that I must find a way to snake through these hoses, for the cold air ducts.

The project has now been put on hold because of the Corvette show, but once back, I expect that if all goes as planned, the Corvette should be ready for delivery sometime around the middle of October.

Regards
Stepinwolf

better you than me, that doesn't look as if it was much fun to do........

Bob,

Having gone through that not long ago we know exactly what you mean.
We gained a little more space by running the lines through the vent opening to a "two over two" bulkhead and had fittings made with the "O" ring A/C style on the inside and AN fittings on the other side.

It helps to have small hands with foot long fingers and one of those lights that straps to your forehead. :L

See you in Carlisle.

Rich

holy crap Batman.....10 pounds in a 5 pound bag!!!

Yes Boy Wonder......but it can be done!!!

YIKES......talk about having patience!

Holy Cow Bob ...!!!!! What a Jammed up bunch of hoses....!!! Wow..Looks like a bunch of snakes..:eek:hnoes. That is tight...But I'm sure after your magic touch it'll work out fine.

I was just wanted and easier way that's why I went Hot Rod Air.

I think I'll go out and kiss my window cranks now.

Classic air

Stepinwolf, I see you have had the joy of installing a Classic Auto Air system. I just installed one in my 65 coupe. I repeatedly had to ask my wife to go inside while I worked to install the same pipes you did. What frustration, cut fingers and contortions I had to put my old and fat body into go get it done. Really hard system to install but it looks good and works great. I am having radiator cooling problems though.

Stepinwolf, I see you have had the joy of installing a Classic Auto Air system. I just installed one in my 65 coupe. I repeatedly had to ask my wife to go inside while I worked to install the same pipes you did. What frustration, cut fingers and contortions I had to put my old and fat body into go get it done. Really hard system to install but it looks good and works great. I am having radiator cooling problems though.

That's why I went to the Hot Rd Air sysyem...after sseeing what's involved with that snake pit I passed..:D

I installed a classic air unit on my 64, it was a breeze. The underhood A/C and heater hose attached the same as the standard heater core, right at the firewall engine side. Have they changed how things go together? My install was only about 3 years ago.

Well, I don't know if they have changed but the inside heater and AC connections are really tight but manageable. There is a lot crowded into a very little space. The worst part, is the loss of over half of the depth of the glove compartment.

I found the under hood connections very easy but I had the engine out and could get into the engine compartment to do the work. The hardest thing was the removal of the original heater blower and heater core.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom