Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

SOMEWHER THERE WAS A POST...RADIO?

P

puppyfang

SOMEWHERE THERE WAS A POST ABOUT REPLACING A BOSE RADIO WITH ANOTHER TYPE AND OR WITH A GM CD PLAYER... ANYONE KNOW WHERE THIS POST WAS OR HOW I CAN REPLACE MY 1989 BOSE WITH AMP SPEAKERS AND KEEP THE SPEAKERS AS THEY WORK FINE, WOULD LIKE TO STAY AS CLOSE TO ORIGINAL AS POSSIBLE AND STILL GET A CD PLAYER...ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED AS IT IS THE LAST THING I NEED TO DO ON THE 1989...RADIO IN IT IS JUST ABOUT DEAD AND CAN NOT SEE FIXING IT...WHO NEEDS A TAPE PLAYER ANY MORE...THANKS AGAIN...PUPPYFANG

SOMEWHERE THERE WAS A POST ABOUT REPLACING A BOSE RADIO WITH ANOTHER TYPE AND OR WITH A GM CD PLAYER... ANYONE KNOW WHERE THIS POST WAS OR HOW I CAN REPLACE MY 1989 BOSE WITH AMP SPEAKERS AND KEEP THE SPEAKERS AS THEY WORK FINE, WOULD LIKE TO STAY AS CLOSE TO ORIGINAL AS POSSIBLE AND STILL GET A CD PLAYER...ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED AS IT IS THE LAST THING I NEED TO DO ON THE 1989...RADIO IN IT IS JUST ABOUT DEAD AND CAN NOT SEE FIXING IT...WHO NEEDS A TAPE PLAYER ANY MORE...THANKS AGAIN...PUPPYFANG
I am possibly looking at changong my radio and stopped at a car audio store today to see what is involved. They were very helpfuf but cautioned me a Corvette can be a challange as the head unit is very shallow so some brackets may need to be removed and possibly some rearainging done behind it to have enough room for a modern radio. The biggest thing is you need one that has separate preamp outputs from the main speaker ones as they go to the Bose amps that are made for the non standard bose speakers. You also need an adapter harness that ties the preamp outputs to the bose system about $45 bucks for that. I was also cautioned there may be some triming and filing of dash trim.. When done you will eliminate the stock head unit and the tuner section that is a separate box as well. Hope this helps.
Dave

Audiovox makes a direct dropin replacement. They're sold at MAD as well as other places. However, that said others have told me that the unit is poor and won't last. I know that Audiovox is considered pretty "low end".

Audiovox makes a direct dropin replacement. They're sold at MAD as well as other places. However, that said others have told me that the unit is poor and won't last. I know that Audiovox is considered pretty "low end".

I think for the amount of work I will pass on Audiovox. I am lookog at a kenwood that is double din so same size as the old one but some surgury needs to be done depth wise and i have been told just a couple of notches for the plugs. 2 nice featues for this one in my mind is you can change the color of the display to match everything else and it is 1/2 shorter than most I saw at 6.5 inches rather than 7+. It is really only slightly deeper than the CD in the first place so might stand a small chance of making it fit..
Dave

Just as follow up. I had also been trying to replace/upgrade my Bose unit. The guy I took it to suggested adding a self-powered sub-woofer instead. If I wasn't satisfied he could then simply replace the rest of the stuff, and keep the still-needed sub-woof. It was good advice. The sub fits nicely way back under the stowed softop, and provides the needed bass that Bose seems to lack. Since it's self-powered it turns itself on when the radio antenna is raised, and the signal taps into the rear amps' OUTPUT to the rear speakers. It may drain 1/10 watt from the speakers which is not detectable. I don't miss any CD, I now download all music and burn cassettes onto a Kenwood I bought on Ebay for $30 including S&H. I did try those add-on CD players but they kept skipping, the Vette exactly doesn't ride like a caddy. Tapes don't skip, and I can burn them with assortments of music based on specific needs: Hotstuff, Hard rock, Make out, etc.

Just as follow up. I had also been trying to replace/upgrade my Bose unit. The guy I took it to suggested adding a self-powered sub-woofer instead. If I wasn't satisfied he could then simply replace the rest of the stuff, and keep the still-needed sub-woof. It was good advice. The sub fits nicely way back under the stowed softop, and provides the needed bass that Bose seems to lack. Since it's self-powered it turns itself on when the radio antenna is raised, and the signal taps into the rear amps' OUTPUT to the rear speakers. It may drain 1/10 watt from the speakers which is not detectable. I don't miss any CD, I now download all music and burn cassettes onto a Kenwood I bought on Ebay for $30 including S&H. I did try those add-on CD players but they kept skipping, the Vette exactly doesn't ride like a caddy. Tapes don't skip, and I can burn them with assortments of music based on specific needs: Hotstuff, Hard rock, Make out, etc.

The reasons I am looking at the kenwood I am are you can plug in a memory stick or iPod so potential megs and megs of music and no skips..LOL and it is a 200 watt amp in its own if I decide I want to trash all the bose stuff. If i do there will be a lot for sale here Bose related.. In the end I am going to ge this car where I think it is an above average driver and sell it reasonble if i can find a 96 convertable that is either dark red or polo green, tan/saddle interior black or saddle top, six speed with fairly low miles. Yes I know a very tall order. I was looking at one before I bought this one and thought it too much mone and just should have bought it.
Dave

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom