Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Sound Deadening Recommendations?

Dragon Daddy

Corvette
Looking to insulate and reduce the noise in my C5.

Can you provide me with guidance as to what works well?

Thanks.

DD

DD,

I used some stuff from Lowe's it was duct insulation from a company called Thermo King. It is aluminum covered foam and has a sticky backing. It comes in rolls that are about 12 inches wide and 11 feet long. It forms very easy and sticks well. I think it was about 11 dollars a roll. If you do a search on this website you should be able to find some posts about it. I used this stuff on the rear wall under the carpet, and on the floor in the back, I also used it under the console and the seats, I believe I used about 5 or 6 rolls total. The car is a Z06 and I also used this on the sides where the roof attaches to the car. I also sprayed the rear fender liners on both sides with undercoating and I put the insulation on the inside of that too. The results are amazing. I hope this helps, and God Bless
Steve

Yep, that stuff is Reflectix. It works the nuts. I bought the stuff that isn't sticky back and used 3M Super 77 Spray Contact Adhesive.

I like it pretty much.

Jim

I went the other route and used Second Skin Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro combination. This certainly cost more than the Lowe's option, so it depends on your budget. Other forum threads go into great detail on the Lowe's products and comparisons.
I am very happy with the route I took and products used, major improvement for noise and cut down heat transfer from the center tunnel on long trips.. apologies to the forum if I used brand names that go against policy

The amount or noise reduction that can be obtained with new tires is amazing. I personally prefer the Goodyear F-1 GSD 3's. They are not EMT's, but I was extremely suprised the moment I had the OEM EMT's removed and these put on.

I went the other route and used Second Skin Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro combination. This certainly cost more than the Lowe's option, so it depends on your budget. Other forum threads go into great detail on the Lowe's products and comparisons.
I am very happy with the route I took and products used, major improvement for noise and cut down heat transfer from the center tunnel on long trips.. apologies to the forum if I used brand names that go against policy

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. So far, I plan on following the path you took (DP and LLP).

Can you provide me with the details concerning how much material you used and where you applied each type of product?

Thanks.

DD

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. So far, I plan on following the path you took (DP and LLP).

Can you provide me with the details concerning how much material you used and where you applied each type of product?

Thanks.

DD

DD,

Ant from SS recommended the following for my C5 coupe - 120sqft of DP, 5 sheets of LLP, two cans of spray contact adhesive, one 150ft roll insulation tale and a wooden roller. The amounts suggested was perfect.

DP: I covered the doors, inside of outer panel and inside panel completely; the cabin floor, tunnel, behind seats and the total trunk area with a single layer. There was enough left over to add a second layer of DP on the vertical area behind the seats (the panel there is thin), the trunk floor, the center tunnel and wheel well areas. The last pieces I had i placed on the underside on some of the plastic cab trim panels.
LLP: The total cab floor and tunnel; behind the seats; the trunk area and wheel wells.
I am extremely happy with the result.
Currently i have Kuhmo run flats which were very noisy, this has quietened the noise down, Once these are worn out I will replace with non run flats - I haven't decided on what tires as there are so many opinions and choices available.
Hope this helps you with your project. Tim

Great, we should get together and let the vette's have a play date.

I'm reading this thread with great interest. I was fairly shocked by the deafening level of road noise when I test drove a used C5 coupe with Goodyears.

The noise is certainly from the EMT's, and if they are old, they are louder still. As soon as I needed new skins, I dumped the EMT's for GY Eagle GSD III's. Best thing I ever did.

My .02

The difference is night and day with the second skin combination of material in the vette. Before it was not comfortable to hold a conversation and couldnt use the cell while driving, music had to be loud to compensate and road noise was very intrusive. Now it is so very different indeed, a pleasure to drive etc....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom