Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sounds Like Pt II

L

LarryK 87

ok, Trans fully serviced, shifts cleaner, and smoother, ( a full flush ), and new Fuel filter.

In reading some of the other posts, i now have a few new questions.

Question 1.
Just how close to the front cross member should the Crank pully be? It looks like it is almost touching it. It almost looks like if the Motor mounts are bad or even marginal that the shift of the engine would cause the pully to contact the cross member ( no appearant signs that it has, as there is a light coat of rust on the rim of the pully). And just how hard is it to replace the Mounts? ( with out a lift).

Question 2.
I had found that my interiour lights did not work due to the fuse being pulled( as a result the Climate control is also inop), Replaced the fuse with a 15a, and lights work, they just do not shut off.
i suspect this to be a problem with the delay timer which is located behind the R/S IP. So my question is how do you get the right side panels apart? I can see no mount screws accessable from the front or underside on the trim panel.
The manual kind of indicates you have to pull the TOP Dash Pad? ( not those exact words.)

Anyone been into that area yet? Suggestions?, Hints?, Tips?

Glad to hear your trans is working well. :upthumbs

As for the dash pad: Look closely at the hush panel and you will find two holes where you can insert a socket and ratchet to remove the nuts holding the panel in place. I believe they are at least 14mm, but could be slightly larger. The same applies to the driver side.

The breadbox is held in place by the same type of arrangement, only there are four nuts to be removed instead of two, and it is very difficult to get all four back on when you try to put it back. The angle of the approach and the fact that your are upside down and backwards doesn't make for an easy job.

The top of the dash (the dash pad) is a piece o' cake to remove: There are two long screws at the front of the pad in the cutout for the defroster outlet that attach the pad to the firewall area, then there are I believe, five screws with hex heads along the front portion of the pad. Three of the screws are located in the center above the information display, and one on each end of the pad. In my case, there were two in the center because one is so badly stripped that it won't even hold a screw and another just barely holds it, and I only had one on the driver side of the dash pad - the other side was just missing.

Once you remove the pad screws, tug on the pad pulling it towards yourself in order to free it from the spring clips at each side of the front of the pad (It helps if you have your steering wheel tilted all the way down. ;)) Once free of the clips, gently ease the dash pad out of the car -- it's a four-hundred dollar replacement item so be careful, it's only constructed of a form of styrofoam or something.

Good luck.

_ken :w

LarryK 87 said:
Hush Panel?

The carpeted pieces under the dash are referred to as a "hush panels" because they help quiet the interior. ;)

_ken :w

Does the '87 have a "door ajar" light on the instrument panel? If the door switches are bad, (and my driver's side currently is) the interior lights will stay on. How long have you had the car? If the previous owner couldn't figure out why the lights wouldn't go off, they may have just pulled the fuse to shut them off.

:D

Spiderman :w

Door Ajar light = Yes ( should check that as well )
Have had the car just about 2 months now.
And yes the previous owner had just pulled the fuse, But a good point on the switches being bad, did not even think to test them.

Hush panels:
Ok, have gone over every inch of the R/S "hush" panel ( Left side is missing), and can find no indication of any mounting holes, now as a side note, The interiour carpet has been dyed to Black ( orig. was Grey) so it may be possible the previous owner had pulled the carpet off, dyed it, then re-glued it back on? The manual also indicates a footwell light there, yet i can find no indication of one( i also have a wire connecter hanging loose there (White and Orange, same on the left), and manual indicate those go to Footwell lights)

I will have to make a more detailed search for any covered mounting holes in the mean time.

Jeez, bad door switches, so obvious, i did not even think to check them, guess thats what happens when you "Assume" eh :duh

Found out the door switches were going when my alarm started going off unprovoked. It did'nt dawn on me untill I was driving one night and the interior lights kept blinking on and off, and when they did the door ajar light was coming on. You learn something new everyday. :D

Glad I could help.
Spiderman :w :_rock

hush panel

ok, i have run over every inch of that hush panel ( pass. side ), and can find no indication of any access points for removing the panel, went bank to the manual, and looked some more, it almost appears as though there are/where 2 panels in that area. 1 is the carpeted piece that runs from the front edge to just under the dash( helms refers to this as the Lower Right side Trim panel)not to be confused with the panel area by the fuse block, then from there to further under the dash ( helms refers to this as the insulator panel, or something like that). It would almost appear that per the drawings the entire foot well area,( or at least most of it ) is covered by these panels?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom