Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

SPARE TIRE KIT For 1997-2017 Corvette, NO MORE RUN FLATS?? - www.modernspare.com

vette_guy7

I got rid of my run flats and have been looking for a spare tire for my C6. I called my dealer and GM doesn't produce one so after a bit of research on the interwebs I came across this product. Does anyone have an experience/review with this company or product? It seems reasonable enough and appears to come with everything needed to change a flat. What are your thoughts? TIA

Pics from website and link below:

https://modernspare.com/product/1997-2017-chevrolet-corvette-complete-kit-all-trims-excluding-c7z06-c7-grand-sport-carrying-case-included/

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 262
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
I personally would like to give up the "space" required to carry it. But if it works for you great. I'll stick with my run flats.

Toms007 I agree with you I wish there was somewhere under the car that the spare could go rather than the trunk. The kit seems relatively small though so (27 inches tall by 6 inches deep) so I'm thinking that there will still be a good amount of space for luggage storage and whatnot. I'm also only planning on taking it on road trips and just leaving it in the garage for local driving so that the wife can bring it out if I get a local flat.

I've had run flats for a while and was planning on sticking with them until I met a fellow vette owner at my local corvette club who swears against them. He said that even if I get a small puncture and drive on the run flats for a few miles to get to a tire place it will destroy the tire and it will have to be replaced. Not true?

BTW, love the color of your car. I have to admit AO has grown on me lately :)

I don't think that is entirely true. On my C5 I picked up a nail in one of my rear tires on my way to Cruisefest, going through St. Louis. It happened during a very busy time (not rush hour, but noon hour rush) I couldn't get off for a couple miles, then when I did, the Firestone place wouldn't even look at it. So i asked to pump it up so I could get to the Michelin dealer a few miles down the road and the best I could get in it was 18lbs and leaking out about as fast as I could put it in. I drove it another 5 miles to the Michelin dealer where they fixed it, told me there was no permanent damage and continued to drive on it. My thought was, I'll replace it when I get home, but I never did. Ran it until the day I sold it 30k miles later. I'm not so sure they aren't still on the car.

The run-flat haters will tell you just about anything to justify their position.

Oh, Thanks for the complements, they are appreciated....I really like AO too.

Toms007 I agree with you I wish there was somewhere under the car that the spare could go rather than the trunk. The kit seems relatively small though so (27 inches tall by 6 inches deep) so I'm thinking that there will still be a good amount of space for luggage storage and whatnot. I'm also only planning on taking it on road trips and just leaving it in the garage for local driving so that the wife can bring it out if I get a local flat.

I've had run flats for a while and was planning on sticking with them until I met a fellow vette owner at my local corvette club who swears against them. He said that even if I get a small puncture and drive on the run flats for a few miles to get to a tire place it will destroy the tire and it will have to be replaced. Not true?

BTW, love the color of your car. I have to admit AO has grown on me lately :)

You may have some room in the cargo area now for the spare and tools, but what about room for the biggest tire on your vehicle if it goes flat, one of your rear tires? Consider the mess and hassle involved in putting a dirty tire in your clean cargo area also, the OEM size tires and wheels are heavy and are a pain to get up and in to the cargo area.

Your fellow Vette owner is incorrect, you can drive 50 miles and up to 50 mph on most run flats with no damage to the tire other than the puncture, check each tire manufacturer to be sure. If the puncture is too close to the sidewall or is too big to be repaired then the tire will need to be replaced, but that is true with any tire. The only downside to modern run flats for street driving is the initial cost, my Michelin run flats ride as good or better than the non run flats that came with the vehicle when I bought it.

Thanks for both of your input. Good to know that in some circumstances a run flat can get you a few miles without totally destroying the tire. It seems there is an endless debate on the run flats vs non run flats. The biggest factors against the run flats for me are the initial cost and the 50 mile range that they give you. I've done a few trips where there was no service station within 50 miles. Sometimes the nearest service station was a couple hundred miles away.

LLC5 you do make a good point about putting the biggest tire in the trunk of the car. It looks like this kit includes a plastic tire bag to put the full size tire in so that it doesn't get the interior dirty so that helps. I've never had a full size in the trunk but my experience with my car is that I've never been able to fill the trunk as it has more than expected cargo room. I'll have to pull one of the rear tires off to see how it fits in there just to be sure that there wouldn't be a problem.

You may have some room in the cargo area now for the spare and tools, but what about room for the biggest tire on your vehicle if it goes flat, one of your rear tires? Consider the mess and hassle involved in putting a dirty tire in your clean cargo area also, the OEM size tires and wheels are heavy and are a pain to get up and in to the cargo area.

Your fellow Vette owner is incorrect, you can drive 50 miles and up to 50 mph on most run flats with no damage to the tire other than the puncture, check each tire manufacturer to be sure. If the puncture is too close to the sidewall or is too big to be repaired then the tire will need to be replaced, but that is true with any tire. The only downside to modern run flats for street driving is the initial cost, my Michelin run flats ride as good or better than the non run flats that came with the vehicle when I bought it.

Hi LLC5. You answered a big question for me. I have Goodyear F1 RF's on my C6 and will eventually replace them, maybe with the Michelin RF's when ready. Any pro's or cons between the GD's and the Mich's, besides price? Thanks.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

09/13/11:
This year, more than 14 percent of new models on sale in the United States came with liquid tire sealant and a portable electric air pump instead of a spare, a trend that is growing as automakers try to shed pounds and boost gas mileage.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/44507857/ns/business-autos/t/spare-tires-may-be-going-way-tailfins/#.WUHevDifDIU

Currently over a third of new cars come without a spare tire..
http://abcnews.go.com/US/gma-investigates-cars-sold-spare-tires/story?id=36435661

It seems a lot of new cars lack a spare or run flats. Good or bad, it's a sign of the times..

Hi LLC5. You answered a big question for me. I have Goodyear F1 RF's on my C6 and will eventually replace them, maybe with the Michelin RF's when ready. Any pro's or cons between the GD's and the Mich's, besides price? Thanks.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

My personal choice is the Michelins, they wear well, are quiet and smooth, and when at less than 50% tread life they do not change their personality, still the same tire which is not true of all tires.

Keep in mind that if you ever drive in 42*F or colder weather you will want an all season tire.

09/13/11:

[/COLOR]

It seems a lot of new cars lack a spare or run flats. Good or bad, it's a sign of the times..

Manufacturers are saving weight and saving some big money per unit, but only for themselves. They don't offer a "credit delete option" for the fairly expensive missing spare tire and tools. Win, Win.

[FONT=&quot]Spare tires may be going the way of tailfins - Business - Autos | NBC News

Currently over a third of new cars come without a spare tire..
[/FONT]
GMA Investigates: New Cars Being Sold Without Spare Tires - ABC News[FONT=&quot]

It seems a lot of new cars lack a spare or run flats. Good or bad, it's a sign of the times..[/FONT]

Good news article and worth a watch. I thought it was interesting that AAA recommends that you do have a spare tire. That's ironic because a lot vette owners say that AAA is the answer to a flat.

My personal choice is the Michelins, they wear well, are quiet and smooth, and when at less than 50% tread life they do not change their personality, still the same tire which is not true of all tires.

Keep in mind that if you ever drive in 42*F or colder weather you will want an all season tire.

I had AS Michelin on the C5, but when I needed tires on 007 I was offered a deal on Firestone. At the time it was too good a deal to pass on. So far, I've been happy with them. The Firestone tires are not all season and I am really careful about driving the car when it is cold. I think when these need replacing, I'll go back the the AS Michelin.

Good news article and worth a watch. I thought it was interesting that AAA recommends that you do have a spare tire. That's ironic because a lot vette owners say that AAA is the answer to a flat.

The spare tire is still the best way to handle a flat tire, but if a manufacturer does not provide a safe way to store and secure the tire and tools (and flat tire) then it is a real compromise for the owner to try and do it safely.

The spare tire is going the way of the 3 pedal manual transmissions, towards extension.

Manufacturers are saving weight and saving some big money per unit, but only for themselves. They don't offer a "credit delete option" for the fairly expensive missing spare tire and tools. Win, Win.

As a former OEM employee and after working at two tier 1 suppliers, the only for themselves has been a constant. Yes, due to CAFE, they need to save weight, but that is it. Past that, it is money in their pocket.

The list appears to be lengthier than I expected:
http://publicaffairsresources.aaa.biz/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Vehicles-Sold-Without-a-Spare-Tire.pdf

Also, remember back when the lack of a spare tire meant the C5 had enough room for golf clubs, suit cases, etc? Or was it as they get the approval from the "suits" who control the money; the stylists rule??

Cost reduction requirements are X% less every year on every component coming in the door. The "joke" was sooner or later, the supplier would pay us for the part? :chuckle

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom