Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spare tire

What's the status of your spare tire?

• As stock, everything in place

Votes: 215 58.7%
  • Carrier in place, but the tire isn't in it, or isn't always in it

Votes: 41 11.2%
  • No spare or carrier, cell phone and AAA

Votes: 72 19.7%
  • No spare or carrier, run-flat tires

Votes: 22 6.0%
  • Dude, I have an extra tire? Cool!

Votes: 16 4.4%

• Total voters
silver 80 said:
your stock tire will fit in the carrier. That's what I use as a spare.

Thanks. I think I'll look around for a cheap steel wheel, and mount one of the 235/60R15 tires that I have laying around.

Joe

Spare

My own spare is the original.
It even has the ugly yellow painted rim.

I did have to use the spare last summer and the skinny width spare is still the same diameter around of your other stock tires. This way there is no lop-sidedness when rolling.

The problem I encountered...was it took my local tire shop a WEEK to get my replacement tire shipped in! When I replace this set...I am KEEPING my old tires to use in case I have a flat and need to wait a week for my brand-of-choice tires to arrive.
This way I am still mobile, and don't have that funky yellow wheel on the 78!
Heidi

I still have the stock carriers and tyres.. never needed them (knock on wood)

The biggest problem I think with them is that if you change off a flat, with the mini.. I mean stock :) tyre where do you put the flat?? it wont fit in the carrier. Or do you call a cab, and make the wife/gf/husband/bf get out and put your flat in the passenger seat?

Bill

took all that stuff off to change the gas tank for in tank TPI pump set up, spare was flat anyway so I just left it off, may have most of the parts around if anyone is interested. I do plan on someday using space for a luggage holder as it would be more usefull to me that way I have been driving a long time and when I have needed a spare it always seemed to be flat and had to call for help anyway:duh

billybob said:
The biggest problem I think with them is that if you change off a flat, with the mini.. I mean stock :) tyre where do you put the flat?? it wont fit in the carrier.

Alright, now I'm getting two different answers. One person says it fits, another says it doesn't.

I guess I should really just pull a wheel, remove the spare, and see if the wheel will fit...

Joe

All in place, I had a flat four months ago in the middle of no where and in no more than ten minutes I was back on the road!

I am curious how many have actually had to use the spare tire?

got the run-flats. GM says you can drive on them for about 200 miles when fully deflated at 65mph without a problem. sounds good enough for me! lol

RedVetteMan02

Is that a joke or am I gullible?
I thought 50miles at or about 35miles per hour.

Think about it Joe a car manufacture builds a car that the original wheel will not fit in the spare tire location?
read your owners manual. maybe it says when you have a flat you are to throw away your tire and rim and install the spare and then buy a new wheel and tire.;shrug :crazy

yikes!

My spare tire is there. Its not the original rim though. Its some kind of alloy wheel. I don't know if it has air in it though.

Hardly matters since I don't have a jack or crowbar! :)

I've never used it, but... The other day I removed the wheels so I could repaint them. I noticed one tire has both a nail and a staple in it! I think the nail is in sideways (only in the tread) and I don't think the little stapple would go deep enough but.... scary anyway.

I'm gonna drive the car to the shop, and pull the nail out there! Then i'll listen for the hissing sound. :)

-Gooney0

I tried this for fun...

The original wheel 225/70/15 (spare) new wheel 255/60/15 (current) it sits in the carrier, but I couldnt close and lock the carrier.

Bill

You mean there is room to put the full size inside the car while the spare is on????

I have always called a roll back tow truck. 255/50ZR16s are HECK to find a place to put them when the spare is on.

I have often thought that a pick up truck mounts its spare better than a C3 under the car. I have never liked the funny business of the carrier. Its too restrictive for a meaningful spare.

Michael Malone Smith said:
By the way Wamp , I had a guy come and look under my car at a show to see if I had a carrier for a spare because he said he didn't have any on his 96. Do you know if it was manufactured like that or what ??????;shrug

I ordered my 96' with EMT's (run with no air-lol) Eagles. When ordered that way there is no spare or carrier....I do know that EMT's were a $70 option and the Spare Delete was a (-$100) credit option.

huge tires getting bigger

I had this problem on my old beatup Buick. I had 235/60/15's and I blew one out.

Then I flattened the spare! (and no I didn't go faster than 35mph)

I was at least 25 miles from the nearest town (Utah). A guy pulled over to help and offered to drive me and my tire into town so I could get a new tire. The problem was my 235/60 was split most of the way around the sidewall, and was now 50% bigger!

To make it worse...... he had a GEO! heeheeheee :)

-Gooney0

Erik S. Klein said:
My spare is in place and as-installed at the factory. It doesn't look like it has ever been pulled or mounted.

If I ever get a flat, AAA gets a call. :D
I'm with you. I pulled mine to wash it and take a pic, then put it back. It doesn't have much air in it and I doubt that it would be safe to use. If I get a flat, I call AAA and get it towed, flat deck only, of course.

silver 80 said:
Think about it Joe a car manufacture builds a car that the original wheel will not fit in the spare tire location?
read your owners manual. maybe it says when you have a flat you are to throw away your tire and rim and install the spare and then buy a new wheel and tire.;shrug :crazy

On my Ford, the tire won't fit in the spare's location, by a long shot.

I guess the only way I'll really know for sure is to try it...

Joe

MaineShark said:
I guess the only way I'll really know for sure is to try it...

Joe

Thanks for bringing us back to ground level!

:duh

Hows this for an idea... loose the tyre but keep the carrier. We all know the vette has 0 storage space, you could probably fit a small travel bag and some other goodies in it.

:)

Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom