Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spare tire

What's the status of your spare tire?

• As stock, everything in place

Votes: 215 58.7%
  • Carrier in place, but the tire isn't in it, or isn't always in it

Votes: 41 11.2%
  • No spare or carrier, cell phone and AAA

Votes: 72 19.7%
  • No spare or carrier, run-flat tires

Votes: 22 6.0%
  • Dude, I have an extra tire? Cool!

Votes: 16 4.4%

• Total voters
was all there until i did the rear end didn't want to cover it up

Complete stock setup. The spare has never been used and the rim is yellow. I carry a couple of cans of fix a flat and plan on inflating the spare sometime soon (only had the car about a month and I'm having too much fun driving it to do any work on it!!). That and buying a house and moving sort of keeps me busy!

Slightly off topic - I've heard that the yellow rim used on early 78's is worth some money to people who care about such things. Would it be worth it for me to take the original spare and yellow rim out and store them safely and replace them with a different wheel/tire setup that I might actually have reason to use someday?

Culprit

Mine '96 is one of 986 with the spare tire delete option that year. Hope I don't have to try the run-flat tires.

Yellow rim ????? someone enlighten me about the yellow rim...

Yellow Rim

From what I have heard and read, GM put a yellow spare tire rim on early 1978 Vettes (whereas they were black in previous years, and they went back to black some time in 78). Since there are not a whole lot of them out there, somone restoring an early 78 would have a hard time finding one.

I don't have any hard numbers for you concerning exactly how many cars had the yellow rim.

Culprit

Factory original spare for me. Best I can tell, it's only been on the ground once or twice.

Funny you should ask. I just saw an 81 yesterday with everything removed. Looked great. Since my 73 spare has never been out of the carrier - it is tempting...

My turkey came with all the trimmings.. I had it out a few years back for inspection time, where it was pumped up and put back into sleep mode (hopefully forever).. :L

I just reinstalled my spare after ensuring that it had air (and would still hold air!). It's still the 77 vintage G70R/15 tire, never installed on the car, just hanging in the spare tire carrier.

I had a 77 that got totaled out last november. I had removed the emty carrier to work on the rearend a week eairler and never put it back. The next week the car was off to the impound lot and the insurance check was in the mail. I then bought a 76 with a good carrier and spare. Needless to say, I now have a spare spare carrier (no pun intended). If interested, let me know.

i have it all. Everything came with the car tire carrier jack and lug wrench and even the yellow rim. But i took it out because i put a whole new suspension on. put a can of fix a flat in my compartment where the jack is. and me cell phone is always ready to call AAA to send a flatbed for baby to ride home on.

BJ

Want my spare back!

All equipment for my spare was gone when I bought the car. It will all come back this winter when I work the engine/trans/exhaust/suspension. I hate carrying around a can of Fix-a-Flat. I think the only way I'd use it is if I was stranded in the middle of the desert. Most likely I'll walk to a service station if I go flat =(

I have a spare, but no jack.

btw, had a flat a few weeks back. No tools, no jack, and no air in the spare.

i borrowed all three and made it home in one piece.

Spare Tire

I just tok mine off last week end and it has a key lock. Naturally the lock was froze up so I
had to take the back bolts out and drop it from there, I am trying to find some one to open the
lock but one guy said it is rusted shut, I may cut the lock off and weld a bolt to it and put a wing nut
on it. The tire has never been on the ground but I do not believe it is from a corvette
some one at some time or other has switched the tires. it has a standard rim
and the wrong size tire with the nubs still on it.:drink :drink

You can remove the lock, and the bolt will still hold the carrier in place. Once the lock is removed, you have to use your lug wrench to loosen the bolt enough to swing out of the way. With the bolt tightened, the carrier is tight against the spare. The lock only prevents someone other from you from loosening the bolt.

spare tire

I have the original spare, jack and tools. I haven't had the tire carrier down in years . What's the point, I would call road side service. I know how hard it is to get the lock off and crank the hardware down and then go thru the labor. I would do just about anything else - but I hate to mess with spare tires.

I remember driving my car for about two years scared of getting a flat, for I had the original spare in the carrier, but could not find the jack!

Then one day...woila!..I found it underneath the storage box and underneath two-factory new T-Top covers I did not know I had...;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom