Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spare tire

What's the status of your spare tire?

• As stock, everything in place

Votes: 215 58.7%
  • Carrier in place, but the tire isn't in it, or isn't always in it

Votes: 41 11.2%
  • No spare or carrier, cell phone and AAA

Votes: 72 19.7%
  • No spare or carrier, run-flat tires

Votes: 22 6.0%
  • Dude, I have an extra tire? Cool!

Votes: 16 4.4%

• Total voters
My spare is there and yes, it has air in it. I do not have run-flats but I do have AAA Premier. I'd say it all depends on the situation on calling AAA.

PLRX787 said:
My spare is there and yes, it has air in it. I do not have run-flats but I do have AAA Premier. I'd say it all depends on the situation on calling AAA.
Yes I'd call them if I have a Extra 6hr. to wait!!;LOL ;LOL ;LOL gmjunkie!!

MaineShark said:
Just curious how many people here have their spare tire & carrier in place, and how many have removed it?

Also, for those who have removed it, do you jsut trust a cell phone and AAA, or do you have run-flat tires?

And, out of curiosity, if you have run-flats, what brand and model?

Joe

Hi Joe, Mine was all there when she arrived, but on closer inspection my spare was a SNOW TIRE WITH METAL STUDS! Just what you need for the highway? Would have looked good at night thought, with all the sparks flying and all?

All changed and operational now though :beer Kiwi Vette

Mines all there,but so far I've only looked at it once.I think I'll pull it out tomorrow,and see what it is.
:D

Exactly where GM put 28 years ago. Only thing changed is the AIR.....

My spare is in place, the same place the factory put it 28 years ago.It's never been opened since new. There is a tire in it, I bet it's got no air in it. If I have a flat I always have my cell phone and some friends phone numbers.

If you get a Flat just do what I always did with all my cars. Repair it right there on the side of the road. If it's only a ponture in the tire. Just plug it.

The only thing you need is a Tire Repair Kit from Campbell Hausfeld (or any other brand) and a portable 12V compressor to inflate the tire after it's repaired. It's very quick and easy to do. So that way you don't have to wait for nobody and you'll be on your way in no time.

at_PA1185_150x114.gif
infltrs_RP1200cp_150x138.gif

When I got my vette, I poked around and found that the spare has never even been on the ground. It was covered with about an inch of dust. I dusted a little of it off and noticed a brand new stripe tire with the little rubber nippes still there. I decided to leave it alone and not clean it up. Its amazing the advances they have made in tires since then.
Also, in the rear glass storage, I found the original T-top bags, nicely folded, also with about 1/2 inch of dust on them. It was obvious they had never been discovered, they had never been unfolded. I took them out and stored them. I use the bags that came with the glass tops, they arent rare...

dshanks said:
When I got my vette, I poked around and found that the spare has never even been on the ground. It was covered with about an inch of dust. I dusted a little of it off and noticed a brand new stripe tire with the little rubber nippes still there. I decided to leave it alone and not clean it up. Its amazing the advances they have made in tires since then.
Also, in the rear glass storage, I found the original T-top bags, nicely folded, also with about 1/2 inch of dust on them. It was obvious they had never been discovered, they had never been unfolded. I took them out and stored them. I use the bags that came with the glass tops, they arent rare...

WOW, that's awesome. Believe it or not, I've never even checked mine. There's a tire in there, but I doubt it's original. My car went through a frame-off several years ago, but I guess I'll never know unless I take a look!

Tepot said:
If you get a Flat just do what I always did with all my cars. Repair it right there on the side of the road. If it's only a ponture in the tire. Just plug it.

The only thing you need is a Tire Repair Kit from Campbell Hausfeld (or any other brand) and a portable 12V compressor to inflate the tire after it's repaired. It's very quick and easy to do. So that way you don't have to wait for nobody and you'll be on your way in no time.

at_PA1185_150x114.gif
infltrs_RP1200cp_150x138.gif

Same as me, sans the compressor. Can of Fix-a-flat, and the VERY handy plug kit. I have used it many times over the years on all my cars and wouldn't be without it. I also have the original spare and carrier on my 82, which is original, 'cept the radio and now chromed aluminum wheels. Oh yeah - new paint in original color ' cept stick on's.

All there and with the original rubber boot still covering the lock.

Two spares one on the vette, never been off yet, and one around my belly, trying to get it off!!

opened the spare tire tub today

....just opened up the tub and found a goodyear polyglass g-70 15 tire there that does not look like it had been driven on. i was hoping for a stash of money or some valuable drugs but only found the tire and the wheel. :cry

It sounds like you hit the jackpot (original spare) to me!:)

I had a spare. I've owned this car since about 1983. Can't remember the tires it had when I bought it. Gone thru 2 sets since. The spare was a Firestone Wide Oval. {'71 vette} I saved the best GoodYear Eagle ST for a spare. It doesn't fit in the holder. It is too thick. I might get it to fit , I haven't tried.

My car has the spare. Goodyear F70-15 and the rim is painted black. I think its original, but not to sure. .

Still has the original recalled Firestone spare on steel silver rally wheel rim. Looks to have never been used. I have removed it a few times to clean out the bottom of the carrier because a little sand seems to find its way inside there, especially after freeway driving.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom