Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spare tire

What's the status of your spare tire?

• As stock, everything in place

Votes: 215 58.7%
  • Carrier in place, but the tire isn't in it, or isn't always in it

Votes: 41 11.2%
  • No spare or carrier, cell phone and AAA

Votes: 72 19.7%
  • No spare or carrier, run-flat tires

Votes: 22 6.0%
  • Dude, I have an extra tire? Cool!

Votes: 16 4.4%

• Total voters

MaineShark

Corvette
1979 L82, 1987 Buick Grand National
Just curious how many people here have their spare tire & carrier in place, and how many have removed it?

Also, for those who have removed it, do you jsut trust a cell phone and AAA, or do you have run-flat tires?

And, out of curiosity, if you have run-flats, what brand and model?

Joe

When I bought mine, I had no tire, just the top of the carrier. The other end was long gone, probably more years than I've been on this earth.

I needed to get it inspected and for it to be legal, I needed one. So... I rigged some brackets around a small 185/70-14 and called it a day. No cover or anything, just the tire hanging with a bubba connection :L

Sly

Mine's all in place, always carry my AAA Plus (100-mile flatbed coverage) card and cell phone too. :D

i have not even opened the carrier yet, i keep a cell phone and aaa. i also keep a can of fix a flat
someday i would like to upgrade with 4 17x8 wheel vintique wheels. they are chrome and look like the stock 70 vette wheels,just chrome. when i get them i will get the run-flat tires
ahhhh,......never ending money pit
mike

My car car had everything missing when I bought it. All it came with was the jack, lug wrench and a can of fix-a-flat in the center rear compartment. Trying to find the spare tire assembly around used is not easy, and new the set-up is quite pricey. I found one used on ebay in Minnesota but the guy wouldn't ship it, it was for pick-up only. So for me it's a good set of tires, a can of fix-a-flat, and a cellphone.

My 75 has no carrier or spare tire. I was looking at buying the whole setup but haven't really checked into it to deeply. I'll probably wait till I have a flat and then worry about it.

I have to check and see if it will still fit between the Flowmasters first. Then are welded in the flat position and are not canted at all.

Funny you should ask the question today....bought my 81 in August of 2001 and just had the spare out yesterday.....going on a trip and have never had it out.....looks like it has never been out of the carrier, tire still has the rubber spikes all around the tread and a blue strip in one of the grooves.....this is probably the first time it has seen any fresh air....had to soak the bolt in WD40 for 15 minutes before it would move......zero air, but inflated okay and is not back underneath with a freshly painted rim and some wheel dressing....where I hope it will stay....dbj:D

spare

The spare was on my 74 when I bought it including a rusty jack and lug wrench. I took the carrier and spare off a few months ago to fix a crack in the bottom carrier, still haven't fixed it. I'm new at fiberglassing.

When I bought the 96 there was no carrier or spare, I purchased a nice carrier and all hardware, now all I need is a spare.

Everything is as it should be on my ride. By the way, the reason that 96GS verts only had 9 1/2 " on the back was that there was no room to throw a flat 11" in the back. You can with a GS coupe. And no, it will not go back in the carrier..........full or flat.:(

By the way Wamp , I had a guy come and look under my car at a show to see if I had a carrier for a spare because he said he didn't have any on his 96. Do you know if it was manufactured like that or what ??????;shrug

Everything is as it should be on my ride. By the way, the reason that 96GS verts only had 9 1/2 " on the back was that there was no room to throw a flat 11" in the back. You can with a GS coupe. And no, it will not go back in the carrier..........full or flat.:(

81kix said:
But have cell phone no AAA......do have a pair of shorts.:D :D :D
Does that count :beer

Yeah, that will work, but not for some of us:D.

:w
Guy

Everything is in place as stock setup. I don't want to wait on AAA finding me out in the boonies somewhere.

All in place but I had to buy a tire when I bought the car just to drive it home. That tire is now the spare with 4 new.

My spare is in place and as-installed at the factory. It doesn't look like it has ever been pulled or mounted.

If I ever get a flat, AAA gets a call. :D

Michael Malone Smith

Michael Malone Smith

By the way Wamp , I had a guy come and look under my car at a show to see if I had a carrier for a spare because he said he didn't have any on his 96. Do you know if it was manufactured like that or what ??????

I know that you can get the spare tire delete as an option, My 96 had a spare on it at one time. The bolt holes have been used, so last owner took it off.

Hmm...

Will a real-sized tire&wheel fit in my spare tire carrier? I've never tried it, but I'm wondering what I'm supposed to do with my flat, if I put the spare in place. I wouldn't want to leave the wheel on the side of the road...

Joe

My spare tire is in the carrier, never been touched.Thats good to know.

Joe,
your stock tire will fit in the carrier. That's what I use as a spare.

Have the factory issued spare, road side service, through my insurance carrier and a cell phone. :pat

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom