Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spark plug change 91

midgetracer

Corvette
1991 Black on black Roadster
This one seems simple but... how do you get at the plugs on the right bank of the engine? Any tips, seems likes lots of scrapes and bruises coming.

Some take the rear inner wheelwell off and use long extentions

This one seems simple but... how do you get at the plugs on the right bank of the engine? Any tips, seems likes lots of scrapes and bruises coming.
I managed cyls 2 and 8 fairly easily, but 4 and 6 were uuugh. Az Oz says you'll find it easier if you take off the inner wheel well. Be careful when replacing, as it's very easy to crossthread.( did I say easy enough times ?) Roger. :bash

Did somebody ask about sparplug replacement on a C4? GM Junkie we need you! :D

Don't struggle. Do it the easy way.

Remove the center section of the passenger side inner fender (6 bolts I think). This gives you a straight access to the plugs. Then use an 8" extension and swiveling socket. I also used those spark plug boot remover with a 45 degree angle to it ( a needle nose pliers with a 45 degree angle will work too) to remove and replace spark plug boot. It is also much, much easier if your spark plug socket has a rubber boot in it that can hold your spark plug in the socket without it falling off as you "thread" the spark plug into the hole.

I honestly think this is the only way to do it in a C4 without removing the AC and other piping down there! Having just the right (yet simple) tools also adds to significantly less frustration as well as resulting in very little cussing and no bloody knuckles. ;)

Were making it to easy on midgetracer!! :D

The first time I changed plugs, everything stock, my knuckles bled for a week!!:boogie

I was young, and didn't think spending extra minutes to take something apart wouldn't be worth the effort, but it is.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom