Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spark Plug Wires, is anythin larger then 8mm better??

S

Shadowing1985v

i just got new wires
i got 8mm why do some of u people get 8.5 or 9mm does this work better.. or something,,,

basically, The larger you get, the better the ability to flow power to the plugs, and generally there is less power loss... In my opinion, The regular plug wires are fine for a close to stock car... even up to 100 HP over stock they should do fine... I would just stick with what you already bought

My mechanic told me that if your a Mod/stock guy 8's are fine but if your running a complete ignition system or a higly modifiyed engine Taylor (For example) 11mm's are the way to go. (If I remember for a computer control car with over 400Hp you want the 11's)

Spark Plug Wires

I myself would go exclusively by what the Haynes Manual has to say. :J

Spark Plug Wires

At the risk of drawing the ire of some techno junkies I would guess that we are dealing with I squared R losses in the spark plug wire material.
I squared R losses try to explain how much resistance there is in a given length of wire at a given thickness. Since spark is mostly voltage and not current I would guess that the size of the wire, no matter what the configuration, is hard to jusitfy. Since most wires are less then a couple of feet long I doubt there is enough current flow through those wires for resistance to become a factor, especially between 8 and 11 mm.
So I would say to buy whatever wires are the right color and price and not to worry about the size of the wire.
Unless you are running your distributor from a remote site. :)

Hope this helps............

When I had my L98 car I ran a Hypertech supercoil with Accel 8.8's. Right now I'm using 8.5's on my car

Jay

Re: Spark Plug Wires

drcorvette said:
I myself would go exclusively by what the Haynes Manual has to say. :J
Bwahahahahaha:L :beer :drink :SLAP :blow :J

Sorry Drew ....

Couldn't help myself !!!!:beer

Talk about overkill...

I ran into a guy recently that had 10.5 mm wires on an otherwise basically stock engine. That's Funny Car territory! :L

_ken :w

Shadowing1985v said:
i just got new wires
i got 8mm why do some of u people get 8.5 or 9mm does this work better.. or something,,,

I solely use MSD Super Conductors on my vette.. they are 8.5mm

For a somewhat biased review, try this link;

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm

Got a set for the '91 and, along with a couple other ignition upgrades, I am seeing a major improvement in overall performance.:)

For my next modification, I'm gonna put some racing stickers on the 'vette! From the looks of some of the "Hotrods" on the streets around here, that alone will turn my baby into a major "racecar"!;)

Spark Plug Wires

I just got a set with wires as thick as your forearm...they won't fit under the "beauty covers" though...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom