Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Speaking of Paint...

oceangal

Corvette
1982 silver/claret
All this time I had been thinking that I would paint the car two tone, just different colors than I have now.
Now after looking at pictures I kinda like the solid colors better. I saw a vette painted in just Claret and it looked really nice.
Nothing under the hood is going to be very original looking except the CFI and even that looks different so its not like I am going to be a numbers matching car and its only paint and if someone wanted to repaint it they could.
I mean look how nice this car looks:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chev...002QQitemZ120106004811QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

notice the cheesy rims and tires though.

Anyway, what do you think?

Love the color. It looks very nice. Go for it !
Whats cheesy about the wheels?

Love the color. It looks very nice. Go for it !
Whats cheesy about the wheels?
Thanks, I still have the silver/gray interior so it should still look nice :)

They painted over the chrome :-( they are the same wheels i have i just worked really hard to polish mine!

"...They painted over the chrome :-( they are the same wheels i have i just worked really hard to polish mine!..."

Really? I thought that wheel style was aluminum (some had a red line, etc), and chrome was after market. I learn something new everyday! I think it looks good either way.

Really? I thought that wheel style was aluminum (some had a red line, etc), and chrome was after market. I learn something new everyday! I think it looks good either way.

i could be wrong, but it looks like a dealership that put some new paint on her and tried to dress her up, tires are a bit on the lower end so thats what I was figuring! Hopefully someone else might know.

I love the darker reds... Claret, Monterey Red, Carmine Red, Mag Red... beautiful colors IMHO.

Also just my opinion, but I like the rims in the posted photos - those in the Ebay auction and the CF post.

Lori, if I it were my Vette, I'd go back with the two tone paint and make the lower color Claret. My reason for that is because I like the colors, and you just don't see as many two tone Vettes around. Good luck whatever you decide.

Post photos for us to drool over when it's done! :)

:w Jane Ann

notice the cheesy rims and tires though.

the wheels look like they just need a good polishing...
they are the same thing thats on my vette!!!!

I'm purty sure all the stock wheels, other than the Rally Wheels, were Aluminum and came with a protective coating. The 78 Pace car was the only one I'm aware of that came with the Red Stripe.

As the years and weather conditions wore on the cars, the plastic coating began to dull and even peal. The coating can be removed, using chemical and in some case's buffing. Once the coating is off the Aluminum can be polished up to look like chrome.

The 1982 CE came with a completely different wheel design, not the slotted type used from 1977 or so. Small changes from the first design through 1982. The first generations were rough finish and in 78 ~ 79 as I recall the center of the rim was painted Black. The 1980 ~ 1982 share the same type center covers.

I purty sure this is correct, but I stand corrected if not ;)

Bud

Edit: Photo's from the L81VetteRegistry ;)
BJ Furrow
5102565.jpg

S. Ryan
422734.jpg

G. Glover
5103802.jpg

Examples of two tone, and one Claret ;)

The wheels were introduced in 1973 but only 2 vettes took delivery with them, they had issues with porosity and didnt hold air very well. Im pretty sure they came out in the next year or so all set to look good.( I read this somewhere and im not expert either!)
They want around $1000 for a set of them polished from most catalogs and considering the cost of custom rims these days, it seems like a rather good deal...I would love to have them on my vette someday..
I would think painting them to be a "Bubba" thing;LOL

I like solid colors as well, a two tone candy apple that is DEEP DEEP burgundy is a great looking color on it:upthumbs

Chas:cool

Lori,

Here are a couple of Vettes I came across in my wanderings. I thought you may like to see them while you're trying to decide about your paint.

1981 TwoTone - Autumn Red/ Dark Claret Red

1981_AutumnRed-DarkClaretRed_TwoTone.jpg

1980 Dark Claret Red

1980_Dark_Claret_Red.jpg

IMHO you will devalue your car with a color change. I think she's a good lookin' girl in her current colors. BUT she belongs to you and you can do what you want.

No factory aluminum wheels were chromed. All were semi-polished aluminum with a clear coat. Some have black centers, some don't, but they're all basically the same wheel. Red stripes only on the Pace Cars to match the red in the graphics package.

Chromed big wheels are aftermarket.

:)

Lori, your car looks just great in claret. That color just jumps in the light. As for the wheels, they are aluminum and can be cleaned up with a little work on your part. Just strip off all the paint/clearcoat with a good paint stripper. I used some stuff call AirCraft Stripper. Try NAPA I think they have it. After they are stripped, polish and buff them using Mothers or some other good aluminum polish.

It is no easy job, but they will come out like chrome. Good Luck!

Dave

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom