Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

SPEC paint on a '72

Tony,

I would say it is not out of the realm of possibilities ;) We have a member in the L81VetteRegistry that has a "Spec" 1981, delivered in "Primer" Here is his Story!

If the invoice does verify that the car was delivered to the dealer in primer with a "Spec" in the paint code area then to be NCRS correct the car would have to be put back into primer of the correct type and color that was applied at St.Louis. Wouldn't that look cool on the judging field?

Here's a picture of a SPEC PAINT Corvette window sticker.

Very interesting. I wonder if special paint just means it came in primer or if it was a non-production color like the Shriner cars.

SPEC PAINT

Very interesting. I wonder if special paint just means it came in primer or if it was a non-production color like the Shriner cars.

Corvettes with SPEC PAINT came a grey primer, and the rubber bumpers Corvettes bumpers were a unpainted silver.

Could have been either one - they weren't individually documented except on the original dealer order or the tank sticker.

:beer

73coupetrimtag.jpg

Photo of trim plate with two dashes ( - -) for paint. NCRS Board indicates it was used for either a SPEC or Primer C3 in early and mid 70's.

trim plates

Excellent example of the trim plates. Thank you ! Save the Wave. >George

1972 special colours,and primer paint override.

Hello my corvette bible states , there was 27004 total build, but paint quantities did not add to total production being 26958 with factory codes, 46 were non standard special colours and primer paint, but does not say what the split for each was , wayne.

For the records, here's a 1981 trim plate for my "SPEC" paint. The Dealer invoice and Build Sheet also say "Body in Prime".

....... nut

Web site for BODY IN PRIME Corvettes

I have just created a web site dedicated to BODY IN PRIME Corvettes. I am seeking input, photos, and any information pertaining to these really rare cars. I'd appreciate input from previous and current owners plus anyone having any knowledge of them. Thanks.

www.bodyinprimecorvettes.com

Great Site ! Highly Recommended for all Corvette Action Members to take a look. Best of Luck with it. Save the Wave.>George

Great idea for a site. I'll ad my story of the one and only body in prime I saw when I worked for DeHaven Chevrolet in Ft. Wayne when I figure out how. It was a '76 or '77. I'm thinking it was a '77. It was dark grey but not black primer with silver metalic bumper covers, L82, black leather and left the dealer body shop painted black.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom