Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"Spin on Oil Filter Adapter and Filter" Question

bobmanx

Corvette
1967 White Convert. 327/350hp, 4 spd, with A/C
"Spin on Oil Filter Adapter and Filter" Question for the 67

I purchased a "Spin On Oil Filter Adapter" and "Spin on Filter" from LIC, Adapter arrived and the filter did not. What "Spin On Filter" (Brand and Filter Number) works correctly with the adapter (other than the one in the catalog that was ordered but not shipped)? Also how does this mount as it was supplied with no instructions, anyone done this before on a 1967, 327/350 HP? Any ideas, or "Do's/"Dont's" as to this modification to make oil changes simpler?

Thanks

Bob

Filter type is most likely AC PF-25

I haven't dealt with these adapters in many years, but installation should be obvious, I think, once you remove the old filter... the adapter must have a large circular piece with a short threaded rod extending out/down, with 2 small bolts that hold it to the block, and a ring gasket that fits between it and the block... as I recall, the adapter replaces a similar piece currently bolted in the block.

Wayne,

Thanks for the filter and install info, it looked simple enough, just going to remove the flashing and molding excess prior to installation. Shouldnt there be lock washers on the mounting bolts, I will ask some more questions when I talk to LIC tomorrow AM. Its too late to play this evening, LOL

Thanks for the help.

Bob

You can still order the mounting bolts from GM, but the bolts GM sent would not fit the GM adapter. I finally got bolts from a junk yard V8 with small factory bolt heads.

The two bolts for the spin-on adapter conversion are 1/4"-20 x 2", Grade 5, no lock washers. You still need the circular aluminum bypass valve (not included in most conversion kits) that's in there now. Remove the two existing bolts that hold the bypass valve in place, install the adapter (with the threaded tube in it pointing down) and gasket, and attach with the two 2"-long bolts, torque is 50 INCH-pounds. Uses PF-25 (regular) or PF-35 (long) spin-on filter.

:beer

FYI, the long filter number for a Mobil-1 filter is M1-302.

JohnZ said:
The two bolts for the spin-on adapter conversion are 1/4"-20 x 2", Grade 5, no lock washers. You still need the circular aluminum bypass valve (not included in most conversion kits) that's in there now. Remove the two existing bolts that hold the bypass valve in place, install the adapter (with the threaded tube in it pointing down) and gasket, and attach with the two 2"-long bolts, torque is 50 INCH-pounds. Uses PF-25 (regular) or PF-35 (long) spin-on filter.

:beer

JohnZ,

The adapter came WITHOUT the Aluminum Bypass Valve, Bolts are only 1/4-20 by 1-1/4' junk grade hex head bolts, and a paper style gasket with a large square cut Rubber Ring. No instructions NADA, ZILCH, Nothing else, and attach using 50 INCH-POUNDS only?

Thanks for the filter info, where does one get the correct Bypass Valve? This was supposed to be "THE COMPLETE ADAPTER KIT". Am I wrong here or should I just stay with the "Original" oil filter system????

Thanks for the info.

Bob

Bob, I think John meant that there is a bypass valve currently residing in your block that needs to be fitted to the adapter (or left in place).

Wayne,

Thanks for the clarification. I purchased it from LIC ( Long Island Corvettes) as a complete kit, so I just wanted to make sure that it was all there. Sorry for the questions, first time Corvette owner, and I dont want it damaged!

Bob

Bob, I purchased the adapter kit years ago but decided to stay with the original cannister system. First reason was I wanted to keep the engine original as possible, second and most important was that after talking to various motorheads the original cannister system filters a little bit better than the spin-ons and finally the adapter plate seems to be a weak point - prone to breakage. Steve

I've got adapters on both of my Vettes. No leaks, no hassles changing the filters. Those old canisters are a mess to change. Just put it away in a box, easy enough to put it back on if you ever want to sell your car or have it judged. Anything easily reversible doesn't destroy the originality of the car in my opinion, it just changes it for the moment. Nobody's going to see it at the Saturday night car show at your local root beer stand anyway. :) As for the filtering ability of the canister vs. the spin on type filters I'd guess that there are better and worse filters in each category but basically your looking at two things: flow and the size of contaminants that a filter is purported to be able to filter out without restricting flow. I use Mobil 1 in both my Vettes so I use the Mobil-1 filters as well. Why? Because somebody told me that I should. Probably marketing hype but I sure as heck hope I'm buying a good filter for all the hassle it can be to find them in stock at times. Just my 2 cents.

This may help.

oilfilter002.jpg

If the kit you recieved is sim to this:

1270.jpg

Then this is Mr. G's instruction sheet for thier current conversion kit, should help as it is likely quite similar, note that they suggest using locktite on the two bolts:

http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/1270.pdf

There are two ways to convert 57-67 V8s to spin-on filters.

There are several aftermarket conversion kits--which is what this thread seems to be talking about--and there is a conversion performed using stock parts.

The stock parts method is best.

You remove the stock filter seal holder/pressure relieve valve assembly that goes with the PF141 canister filter and replace it with the spin-on mount/pressure relief valve assmbly that goes with the PF454 or PF1218. I believe you can reuse the bolts that held the canister filter relief valve.

The GM PN for this "oil filter adapter" is 3952301.

Hib Halverson said:
There are two ways to convert 57-67 V8s to spin-on filters.

There are several aftermarket conversion kits--which is what this thread seems to be talking about--and there is a conversion performed using stock parts.

The stock parts method is best.

You remove the stock filter seal holder/pressure relieve valve assembly that goes with the PF141 canister filter and replace it with the spin-on mount/pressure relief valve assmbly that goes with the PF454 or PF1218. I believe you can reuse the bolts that held the canister filter relief valve.

The GM PN for this "oil filter adapter" is 3952301.

That would be this part - but for those who are running off to order it, know that you need to also order the two bolts seperately (pn 3951644):

3952301_large.jpg

Everyone Thanks for the help. I purchased the "adapter kit" from Long Island Corvette, no instructions, junk grade bolts and a couple of gaskets. Its different from the Mr. Gasket adapter shown above. (Pics are coming) From what I'm beginning to understand is, this just bolts to the filter opening after removing the "Bypass Valve Plate".

Running without a "Bypass Valve" is not a good idea as you can blow the filter off the car and cover everything with oil and this is not a good thing!

The kit from LIC is made to be mounted without the Bypass Valve. It's the only one they sell, and "IT SHOULD BOLT RIGHT IN" & "IT"S SO SIMPLE EVEN A CHILD COULD INSTALL IT"!

So guys untill I can find someone that has used it/likes it/hates it, what can I do other than just use the "Stock Cannister type that was ORIGINAL?

So JohnZ and others that are never wrong, What and how do I find the correct "SPIN ON FILTER ADAPTER". for a 1967 convert 327/350 HP?
Who has used one and what type was it?

Thanks for all the help,

Bob

Vette66AirCoupe said:
I use Mobil 1 in both my Vettes so I use the Mobil-1 filters as well. Why? Because somebody told me that I should. Probably marketing hype but I sure as heck hope I'm buying a good filter for all the hassle it can be to find them in stock at times. Just my 2 cents.

I don't think it's just marketing hype...I've read more than one research article that just praises the quality of the Mobil1 filter compared to others. Just never EVER use a Fram filter!

Bill

geekinavette said:
I don't think it's just marketing hype...I've read more than one research article that just praises the quality of the Mobil1 filter compared to others. Just never EVER use a Fram filter!

Bill

Hey Bill,

That's good to know. Thanks for passing that along. I'm curious about the Fram filter as I never really specify which brand to use on my non-Vettes. What have you learned about them? I'm guessing it's time I get pickier on my other vehicles as well.

Vette66AirCoupe said:
Hey Bill,

That's good to know. Thanks for passing that along. I'm curious about the Fram filter as I never really specify which brand to use on my non-Vettes. What have you learned about them? I'm guessing it's time I get pickier on my other vehicles as well.

just hype on the Mobil 1 filter, not of any super special above all the rest of the good ones quality (flame away, I am ducking), there is a great resource on oil filters, performance characteristics of each brand, etc. (note that the filters are made by a few manufacturers, Mobil ! is made by Champion labs):

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

and the conclusions here:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html

Well, I was in a pinch and the only filter that the store had in stock was the Fram. It lasted about a couple hundred miles before collapsing. I knew it failed because my oil filter bypass is plugged, the oil pressure started acting all wierd...if it weren't I would have never known that the filter failed and would have been circulating unfiltered oil (and who knows what else from the filter itself) through the engine.

Thanks for posting that link ctjackster...I was looking for it but didn't find it.

Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom