Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"Spin on Oil Filter Adapter and Filter" Question

bobmanx said:
The kit from LIC is made to be mounted without the Bypass Valve. It's the only one they sell, and "IT SHOULD BOLT RIGHT IN" & "IT"S SO SIMPLE EVEN A CHILD COULD INSTALL IT"!

So guys untill I can find someone that has used it/likes it/hates it, what can I do other than just use the "Stock Cannister type that was ORIGINAL?

So JohnZ and others that are never wrong, What and how do I find the correct "SPIN ON FILTER ADAPTER". for a 1967 convert 327/350 HP?
Who has used one and what type was it?

Thanks for all the help,

Bob

Bob, without a pic I don't know what you have; if you can't post them, e-mail them to me and I'll post them. E-mail is Snake488@aol.com.

Mine had a spin-on adapter on it when I bought it, and I removed it and returned it to the original canister setup; the pieces I removed are the same as those in the photo that ctjackster posted.

:beer

ctjackster said:
just hype on the Mobil 1 filter, not of any super special above all the rest of the good ones quality (flame away, I am ducking), there is a great resource on oil filters, performance characteristics of each brand, etc. (note that the filters are made by a few manufacturers, Mobil ! is made by Champion labs):

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

and the conclusions here:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html

What? How dare you disparage the Mobil 1 filter! :r
Just kidding. :gap For the record, I was not trying to say the Mobil 1 was above all of the rest of the good ones, just that it was recommended to me as a good one. Since I know nothing of the innards I took my buddies advice and bought the Mobil 1 filter. The links you've provided were certainly insightful. The positives of the Mobil 1 filter are now substantiated in my mind. But shame on Fram is all I can say.

JohnZ and others,

JohnZ I sent the "LIC Spin on Filter Adapter" pics to you. Just to let you know that I purchased a real AC Delco Filter adapter on Sat. It appears to be a carbon copy to the one that CJackster posted earlier and it does work with the "original" Bypass Valve.

Thanks again to everyone for the info and help, Glad that you are all out there and so willing to help.

THANKS!

Bob

Hey Bob,

What's cool about this forum is that while you are the one asking the question we are all learning something along the way. I am SOOOO glad Al Gore invented the internet!;LOL

JohnZ said:
Bob, no mail at this end from you yet.... :confused
John,

I sent it to the email address that you had listed in the above post. aol must have buried it as the size was a bit large due to the pics. I will resend it with them as attachments.

Thanks for the help and the learning! LOL

Bob

Here are the photos Bob sent me of the spin-on adapter he got from LICS; it is used WITHOUT the stock bypass valve; it either eliminates it or has one built-in.

that is interesting John, thanks for posting the pics. I would have assumed LIC was selling something different.

JohnZ,

That adapter (in the pics that JohnZ was kind enough to post for me) does not have a internal bypass valve, It eliminates the bypass valve. During the install you have to remove the bypass valve then install the gasket and the adapter, and then bolt it in place. The bypass valve is no longer used.

Like I said above I decided that I would find a adapter that would retain the original bypass valve. I purchased a Genuine AC/Delco original, made in the USA, Part Number #6438357 from a Chevrolet Parts Place in SoCal. It uses and mounts to the original bypass valve using longer bolts and then the Spin On Filter mounts to the adapter. It looks very similar to the Mr. Gasket adapter that was shown near the begining of this post.

Thanks JohnZ and others for the quick call to alert me to the problem with the other style adapter. It's on its way back to Long Island Corvettes for a refund.

Thanks Everyone!!!

Bob

Hmmmmm, I'm guessing that the bypass valve is a safeguard in case the filter collapses or otherwise becomes so clogged up that oil won't pass through it. Is that the case? I wonder how it works or even if it works on older cars. If it's a kind of pressure relief valve I can't think of how that would work. What pressure would trigger it? The oil pump can only put out so much pressure. I hope somebody knows what the answer is, I'm losing way too much sleep mulling stuff like this around in my TinBrain. :W

That looks just like the Permacool adapter that I bought from Jegs p/n 771-1134 $11.99

http://www.jegs.com//cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=10434&prmenbr=361

7711134.jpg

Vette66AirCoupe said:
Hmmmmm, I'm guessing that the bypass valve is a safeguard in case the filter collapses or otherwise becomes so clogged up that oil won't pass through it. Is that the case? I wonder how it works or even if it works on older cars. If it's a kind of pressure relief valve I can't think of how that would work. What pressure would trigger it? The oil pump can only put out so much pressure. I hope somebody knows what the answer is, I'm losing way too much sleep mulling stuff like this around in my TinBrain. :W

The bypass valve opens if the filter gets clogged and won't pass enough oil to maintain safe oil pressure; when the filter's restriction to flow reaches a given level, the valve opens and allows oil from the pump to bypass the filter entirely and go directly to the main oil gallery. Don't remember offhand what the pressure differential is that opens it.

but don't all modern spin on oil filers have an internal bypass valve that does the same thing (opens when filter element is clogged)? I thought the cartridge units had an external bypass valve because they did not include an internal one, but it would seem to me that any "spin on filter conversion kit" would not need to retain the old external bypass valve.

what am I missing? (note that, 9 times out of 10, I am missing something obvious)

ctjackster said:
but don't all modern spin on oil filers have an internal bypass valve that does the same thing (opens when filter element is clogged)? I thought the cartridge units had an external bypass valve because they did not include an internal one, but it would seem to me that any "spin on filter conversion kit" would not need to retain the old external bypass valve.

what am I missing? (note that, 9 times out of 10, I am missing something obvious)

I don't know anything about automotive applications, and I hesitate to say "all"; but I do know that when I was specifying filters for an off-road application it was all but impossible to find one without an internal bypass. I believe you may be right.

RugHead said:
I don't know anything about automotive applications, and I hesitate to say "all"; but I do know that when I was specifying filters for an off-road application it was all but impossible to find one without an internal bypass. I believe you may be right.

I think that's quite true today, but it may not have been the case in 1968 when Chevy started using the spin-on filter; don't know for sure, though.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom