Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spindlenut cotter pin alignment question

Ol Blue

After setting up the wheel bearings sometime ago, (.002) I'm just now getting back to working on my daughters car. When I torqued the spindle nut to 100lbs, the cotter pin won't go in. See first picture. On this spindle there is only one place for the pin to go instead of two like on the other spindle so I can't tighten it up until the next hole lines up.
100lbsnut.jpg

When I back the nut off completely and retorque it to 90lbs I can get the cotter pin in. See next picture. Is that acceptable or should I get a shim to put behind the nut? I have new nuts and washers from Paragon on it now.
90lbsnut.jpg

Thanks
Ol Blue

Gary will see this post and he is absolutely the most quailfied to answer this question. If he doesn't notice it I will bring it to his attention tomorrow.
He will know what to do.

You must torque to the 100 ft/lbs. I hav egone beyond 100 to align the hole as this is the case most times and the way it's referenced in the GM manual. Rather then using a shim I would face the nut a little if you need to. I have gone beyond the point you are and haven't had a problem. If you correctly setup the bearing endplay it should be ok. If you feel any binding then stop and find the problem even if it means breaking down the job again.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Gary

Thanks Norval.

GTR1999/Gary

I dressed the spindle nut several times on a flat surface and emory cloth until 100lbs torque lined up the hole perfectly.
Thanks Gary
Ol Blue (Gary)

Glad to help, as I said I've gone beyond 100#'s to align the pin without a problem. It's another reason I leave some endplay~.0015-.002 works pretty good.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom