Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Spotting the C5

hand_coder

I am doing a "Corvette Spotter" project and have come to the C5.

What, if any, exterior details differentiate the various C5 years? I am looking for badges or trim items that can conclusively determine a 1999 vs. ????. For example, in the case of the C2, we all know that a split rear window means a 1963 or a "Corvette" emblem in the left front of the hood denotes a 1966.

What about the C5? Anything?

Next is the C6. The C7 (so far) is easy!

Thanks in advance.

I am doing a "Corvette Spotter" project and have come to the C5.

What, if any, exterior details differentiate the various C5 years? I am looking for badges or trim items that can conclusively determine a 1999 vs. ????. For example, in the case of the C2, we all know that a split rear window means a 1963 or a "Corvette" emblem in the left front of the hood denotes a 1966.

What about the C5? Anything?

Next is the C6. The C7 (so far) is easy!

Thanks in advance.

The wheels will give a clue, wagon wheels vs. thinspoke; and the passenger side door lock key hole disappeared I think in '01, also the exhaust tips changed from black pipes to chrome tips. Other than that there are very few clues as to a C5's year externally! Colors??

The wheels will give a clue, wagon wheels vs. thinspoke; and the passenger side door lock key hole disappeared I think in '01, also the exhaust tips changed from black pipes to chrome tips. Other than that there are very few clues as to a C5's year externally! Colors??

Very cool, I was not aware of the missing passenger side door lock, will look into that.

I've noticed that there is a distinction in the '98 / '99 hardtop and the 2000+ Z06 with a air inlet in front of the rear wheels, close to the ground. Is that for a transmission cooler?

It isn't easy with the C5s, but with a little study I am coming up with various cues.

Thank you for replying.

Those ducts are for ducting air to the rear brakes. I "think" that all the 03 models had 50th anniversary designated emblems (I could be wrong about that). Not something that you can spot, but at some point, the LS1 rated HP went from 345 to 350 (2000 to 2001 if I remember correctly)

Very cool, I was not aware of the missing passenger side door lock, will look into that.

I've noticed that there is a distinction in the '98 / '99 hardtop and the 2000+ Z06 with a air inlet in front of the rear wheels, close to the ground. Is that for a transmission cooler?

It isn't easy with the C5s, but with a little study I am coming up with various cues.

Thank you for replying.

The air intake behind the door is for brake cooling and is on all C5 Z06's '01 thru '04. And yeas the '03 emblems all say 50th anniversary.

The air intake behind the door is for brake cooling and is on all C5 Z06's '01 thru '04. And yeas the '03 emblems all say 50th anniversary.

Thanks for the info on the air intake. I was aware of the '03 50th anniv. emblems, that helps.

I am looking at some C5 photos and see some have what looks like a rub strip that starts in the recess in the front air vent / outlet and continues through the door. Is there a reason as to why it is on certain C5s and not others? It doesn't look to be something that can protect against door dings, or does it?

Thanks to all who have replied for your help.

Those are body side moldings and were an option you could chose to have, or not.
Some people opted to pay for them, others did not.
Andy :w

I always thought the body side moldings added a lot to the looks of the C5. I liked them with the side mouldings, but not so much without.

I always thought the body side moldings added a lot to the looks of the C5. I liked them with the side mouldings, but not so much without.

Truth be known, the body side moldings actually make the C5 faster!!! Of course the increase in laminar flow is at a speed that no C5 could ever achieve...

I should have said "I like the looks of the C5 BETTER with the side moulings than without." I loved the looks of the C5's since the day they came out.

Those ducts are for ducting air to the rear brakes. I "think" that all the 03 models had 50th anniversary designated emblems (I could be wrong about that). Not something that you can spot, but at some point, the LS1 rated HP went from 345 to 350 (2000 to 2001 if I remember correctly)

Tom's correct. All 03s had the 50 anniversary hood emblem. The 50th Anniversary Editions were all deep red metallic (one year color) with a shale interior. Only the 50th Anniversary edition had the 50th anniversary emblem on the middle rear of the front fenders.

I am looking at the thin spoke wheels, which, as I understand it, were found on C5s from 2000 to 2004. There seems to be two designs, one slightly thinner at the outer portion than the other. See the attachments. Were both styles found on model years 2000 to 2004? From what I can tell they were, can anyone confirm?

Attachments

• IMG_6247A.jpg
    IMG_6247A.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_4532A.jpg
    DSC_4532A.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 81
The ones on the left are, I believe, the magnesium wheels that were offered as an option. IIRC they were an option from 98 on. Not a cheap option so there weren't that many out there. They were only available in a slightly different painted color of silver.

The ones on the left are, I believe, the magnesium wheels that were offered as an option. IIRC they were an option from 98 on. Not a cheap option so there weren't that many out there. They were only available in a slightly different painted color of silver.

I think you are right. For 1998 the Black book lists N73, Magnesium wheels, 1,425 sold or 4.58% of 1998 production. They cost $3,000 (ouch) but what else do we expect for a factory sourced magnesium wheel. It's a similar story for 1999 with 2,029 or 6.1%, at the same price. For 2000 the price went to $2,000 and quantity sold was 2,652 or 7.87%. In 2001 is was 1,022 / 2.87%; 2002 114 / .32% but the price was reduced to $1,500. 2003 was also under 1% of production. For 2004 the price was only $995 and 1,110 / 3.26%.

It's odd as I don't see the thin spoked wheels in my photos collection for 1998 and 1999 'vettes which includes ones taken at Corvette shows along with GM publicity photos and brochure scans. Is it possible that the N73 wheels for 1998 and 1999 were the thicker spoked style first seen in 1997? All of the wheels I see on 2000 and later photos are of the thin spoke style so I am wondering if the QF5 (listed as polished aluminum wheels) with much higher production quantities are the thin spoke style? :confused

Did some more research. I believe this is the N73 wheel. Not very common but extremely good looking and light as well.

IMG_6200_a.jpg

I am looking at the thin spoke wheels, which, as I understand it, were found on C5s from 2000 to 2004. There seems to be two designs, one slightly thinner at the outer portion than the other. See the attachments. Were both styles found on model years 2000 to 2004? From what I can tell they were, can anyone confirm?

Both of the rims pictured are the QG1 painted rims that were standard on the 2000-2004 vehicles; I think the lighting is just a bit different in the photos, so they look like different finishes. The '03 Anniversary Edition C5 used the same rim style, but they were painted a 'champagne' color, which is similar in color to the golden-hued N73 magnesium rims that were optional for all C5's starting in 1998. Prior to 2000, the standard rims were the silver-painted QD4 'wagon wheel' rims.

... It's odd as I don't see the thin spoked wheels in my photos collection for 1998 and 1999 'vettes which includes ones taken at Corvette shows along with GM publicity photos and brochure scans. Is it possible that the N73 wheels for 1998 and 1999 were the thicker spoked style first seen in 1997? All of the wheels I see on 2000 and later photos are of the thin spoke style so I am wondering if the QF5 (listed as polished aluminum wheels) with much higher production quantities are the thin spoke style? :confused

The QF5 and QG1 rims are identical, except for the finish; the former is the brightly-polished style, while the latter is painted.

Did some more research. I believe this is the N73 wheel. Not very common but extremely good looking and light as well.

View attachment 13525

Correct. These are the optional N73 magnesium rims. The spokes are slightly thicker than the later QG1/QF5 rims, but not as thick as the early QD4 rims. If you look closely, you can also see the word "MAGNESIUM" stenciled on the edge of the rim in yellow lettering at about the '4-o'clock' position in the photo you posted.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom